cooker/oven circut blows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Wondering if anyone can help.
My cooker/oven circuit (40 amp) keeps blowing. I disconnected the switch to try to locate where the problem is, it has to be between the consumer unit and the switch.
It doesn’t blow right away, it usually takes a few minutes till it blows.. what can possibly be the problem and solution? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
If the fuse blows when there is no known appliance connected anywhere to the cable and that fuse then the most obvious fault has to be a damaged or failed cable.

Either recent work in the house has left a nail or screw through the cable or at some time the cable has been overloaded and insulation has melted or burnt allowing a short circuit to develop.

You need to have the cable properly inspected along its entire length for damage or another appliance connected to it.

Yeah that makes sense since like i said it must be the cable. anyway can U explain me how to test the cable? just to know what the problem is exactly. Thanks

Sponsored Links
A cooker draws a large current when used... i suspect the wiring asscotiated is old and needs replaced, the oven you are now using will be drawing far more current than it's predecessor and you probably live in old property that needs rewiring now. at 40,000mA the wiring is giving up.

You should get the house wiring checked and rewired if necessary.

sinewave said:
i suspect the wiring asscotiated is old and needs replaced
Either that or it's new and needs replacing.

the oven you are now using will be drawing far more current than it's predecessor
What predecessor? :confused:

...and you probably live in old property that needs rewiring now.
Either that or he doesn't.

at 4000mA the wiring is giving up.
At 4 Amps, that seems rather unlikely.

Rewire soon
Why?

sinewave said:
Missed a digit 40,000mA
In that case do you mean that the insulation is giving up?

If so, how would you test for that?

sinewave said:
Thats 2Kv just in case you are beginning to flounder

(How to test for the insulation giving up)... hold the live terminal & then touch the cookers metal casing if the old fuse blows you will probably survive but one should still consider a rewire

Sorry this information was stupid and fatal do not try this.

Softus are you still with us mate......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back