Cooker switch location

Interesting topic, this. We have architect's plans to produce a larger combined kitchen / diner, which will have a whole new kitchen (currently out to tender - I'm not doing this myself!).

There is only a loose sketch for the kitchen layout at the moment (to be firmed up once we get the contractor sorted) but one of the appealing aspects was a central oval island with an induction hob on it.

Would you say that the isolator switch would need to be on the island or could it be (for example) on the wall at the exit door, as long as it was was within 2m of the hob?

Sponsored Links
I think some of this stuff was either from much older editions, which I am doubting because the regs didn't worry too much about sockets and water pre-14th. My Mum's 40's bungalow had one in the bathroom. Kosher!
I can well believe that. Until my grandparents had a tv, there wasn't a conventional socket in the two reception rooms of their old cottage. Any electrics were plugged into the 2 or 3 way bc adaptor at the ceiling rose, which, I'm horrified to say, I believe are still available!!

Well, I don't usually cook while naked and dripping wet.... ;)
I think I was just being fed a line by the companies top honcho sparkie who would be connecting my mains to the new cu once he'd been through the house. I think some of it was interpreted, to me, to be edging on the safe side.
And there's nowt wrong with wet naked cooking (unless frying pans are involved!)!

Would you say that the isolator switch would need to be on the island or could it be (for example) on the wall at the exit door, as long as it was was within 2m of the hob?
I always try to think, if a chip pan catches fire, and boils over into the hob tray (old fashioned I know), where would I want to be putting my hand to turn the electric supply to the hob off without burning my hand? That's where the isolator would go. Last island hob, in a new build, I had any dealings with, the hob isolator was put at the top of an open panel for wine bottles that was part of the island but it was high enough not to be restricted by any stored bottles of wine.

Stored wine doesn't happen in my house. It goes from supermarket to mouth without passing go!

Does an induction hob with an on/off switch even need a separate isolator switch?

Boilover or overheat and the "supervisor" electronics will shut itself off anyhow. Else walk away and flip the MCB, or the main isolator if you need both poles isolated? Both are capable of full load disconnect, unlike the fuse wire/cartridges of ye-olde days. Fire blanket and walk away is no drama either.

Sponsored Links
Ouch....

Ban, have you got a copy of BGB?

I can't get at mine due to a flat battery. See thread in GD.

Cheers, Scoby, that's brilliant! It's just that I'm wondering if there is an equivalent to 476-03-04 in the 17th? Trouble is, with the new numbering, it might take a bit of finding....

476-03-04

Every fixed or stationary appliance which may give rise to a hazard in normal use and is connected to the supply other than by means of a plug & socket complying with regulation 537-05-04 shall be provided with a means of interrupting the supply on load. The operation of the means of interrupting the supply on load shall be placed so as not to put the operator in danger. This means may be incorporated into the appliance or, if separate from the appliance, shall be in a readily accessible position. Where two or more appliances are installed in the same room, one interrupting means may be used to control all the appliances.

Foreword:
Chapter 53 Protection, isolation, switching, control and monitoring. Simplification means that* requirements previously in Chapter 46, Sections 476 and 537 of BS7671:2001 are now in this single chapter. Chapter 53 also a new section blah blah blah.

* That's easy for them to say!!
537.5: Functional switching (control) (pg153) seems to cover most of that at a glance but I'll have a proper look through when I get back shortly.

537.5.4 now concerns Motor Control

537.4 Devices for emergency switching
537.4.2.7 reads: A device for emergency switching shall be so placed and durably marked so as to readily identifiable and convenient for the intended use.

537.4.2.8 A plug and socket-outlet or similar device shall not be selected as a device for emergency switching.

537.5 Functional switching (control)
537.5.1.1 A functional switching device shall be provided for each part of a circuit which may require to be controlled independently of other parts of the installation.

537.5.1.2 Functional switching devices need not necessarily control all live conductors of a circuit. Switching of the neutral shall be in compliance with Regulation 530.3.2.

537.5.1.3 In general, all current-using equipment requiring control shall be controlled by an appropriate functional switching device.
A single functional switching device may control two or more items of equipment intended to operate simultaneously.

& 537.5.2.1 Functional switching devices shall be suitable for the most onerous duty they are intended to perform.

The 2 metre suggestion is either extraneous or onerous. The means of Isolation needs to be simply "readily accessible" That is all.

Devils Advocat

So, in the above extracts from the regs. There is no mention of the 2 metre "rule"

There is no mention that an isolator needs to be in the same room.
Interruption of supply could be from the CPD in the consumer unit.
Unless the MI's DP isolation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back