Cooker switch location

The 2m rule is still mentioned in the OSG and possibly in the IEE guide to building regs as well. Can you quote regs to back this up?

For years I have followed the 2m rule. It was in the 14th, then 15th. It was dropped in the 16th, but most carried on using it, as it was "advised" in the OSG.

But, as folk here in the past year or two have been asking what the specific regs are relating to switching and appliances, I'm trying to find out what the 17th says in relation to this subject.

Unfortunately I can't access any of the books in my library at the moment.

Sponsored Links
If you look at the 16th regulation below, it does not mention the 2m rule, but it does say "must be placed so as not to put the operator in danger".
You have to make your own mind up about that!

TTC:

Devil's Advocat -is that a drink? ;)

When I wrote the above the other day I nearly commented that you could almost put a switch in the next room, but then if you allow for what's written in the quote marks, then you could argue that putting a switch in the next room or at the CU would put the operator in danger in an emergency.

I think (know) that means in danger when operating the switch - having to reach across a hazard.

Sponsored Links
I think (know) that means in danger when operating the switch - having to reach across a hazard.

The ECA would disagree... ;)

If there's an issue with a cooker on fire and you can't find the switch, that puts the operator in danger.

They can't say householder or family or member of staff because they can't legislate for all those different kind of situations.

By saying "operator" they've covered whoever it is in the building that is using the cooking appliance.

@SS.

I've scan read all of that section, 537, and can find no wording as you put in from the BRB. That doesn't mean it isn't. Just I've got a bit rusty with the art of using the BGB index system. You know the one. Where you look for fuse and it says see, and then see, and then see, and then see........

Yeah, but that's why I was puzzled. Put a snowball anywhere near the Devil & it'll melt!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back