cooker to existing wall plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

Can someone please let me know if the cable from the electric cooker to an existing cooker wall plate (usually hidden behind the cooker, with three screw terminals behind a white plate) can be done by any layman or needs to be done by a certified part p electrician?

I dont mean the electric ignition for a gas cooker, but the main feed for an electric cooker.

The cooker is a standard standalone unit, not the built in type.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it is new, it will say in the bumpf @should be connected by a qualified electrician'. If you don't do this your warranty will probably be invalid.

There is nothing to stop you doing it, after all who will know, but are you sure the supply is electrically sound, continuity, IR, EFLI?

Is the circuit designed to handle the energy drawn by the cooker?

Part P states the following under the list of non notifiable work:
1. Work consisting of -

(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does
not include the provision of—

(i) any new fixed cabling; or

(ii) a consumer unit;

The question then is whether the wiring you are doing counts as fixed cabling - if it's the cable between the cooker and the wall, then it's arguable.

Approved document P (which is not the law, but government authored guidance) has a note:
The fitting and replacement of cookers and electric showers is not notifiable unless a new circuit is needed

So I think you're OK, as long as the existing circuit is appropriately rated for the oven you are attaching etc. One thing to be careful of, is a lot of modern ovens are <= 3kW, and existing fixed wiring can often be rated at 30-40A, at which point the cable between the point on the wall and the oven is not adequately protected. In this situation, an FCU (fused connection unit) should be used on the wall...

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

thanks for the quick reply.

Were tenants now & brought our cooker with us.

The cooker was in use & working fine previously, weve used the same cable to connect it. (thick dedicated 40a cooker cable)

we have connected a cooker at each property we've lived, it's not rocket science, but i wasnt sure about the "official" rules.

The property has had an electrical safety check since connecting it & passed with flying colours, so that's handy, but its nice to know if this is an anyone can do it or sparky only job.

Nice info about the part p rules, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back