'COOKERS ARE NOTORIOUSLY LEAKY'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I have read in another forum that 'cookers are notoriously leaky and should not be fed from an RCD or RCBO'.

Do the expert members agree with this statement?

Does the statement also apply to modern double ovens and hobs?

Would appreciate opinions!

Sponsored Links
Have just removed a Neff Circotherm from our kitchen after 25 years of service. Only tripped the RCD once when the element failed.

Equipment containing a heating element such as cookers and immersion heaters are more likely to trip an RCD as they get older, and as they fixed equipment within the equipotential zone there is no need to RCD protect them.

They are sometimes RCD-protected when there is a socket in the circuit. My advice is, replace the CCU with a DP switch & lose the RCD protection for the cooker.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks gentlemen for your informative and helpful replies

i would agree it shouldnt be on an RCD shared with other things (as leakage adds up, and the oven turning off other appliances is a pain). but having it on its own RCBO i cant see as been a bad thing, although you may not be able to justify the cost for a piece of fixed equipment.

The source of the problem is metal sheathed heating elements, used in most, but not all cookers. The end seal can leak and let a little moisture in. This increases the earth leakage whilst the element is cold, but dries out when the element heats up.

There is no danger if the metal sheath is earthed. Eventually metal sheathed hot plates will wear out, exposing the insulation and the element burns out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back