Cordless Drill/Driver advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm about three weeks off starting a barn conversion and want to buy a few items to ease my chore. I've spoken to a friendly builder and he's suggested a minimum voltage of 18V, and to buy two so you can be drilling and screwing without changing bits all day. He also said get two batteries per drill. Is this overkill?

anybody have a top three manufacturers, I've looked at Makita, DeWalt (I could only afford 14V if I did) and Bosch but I'm really not aware of which I should consider.

Thanks in advance. (I'll be back to ask about table top saws next week!)

Sponsored Links
Before Big-all jumps in with his "I rate them light to medium trade" routine. I can recommend Ryobi. You can get the one+ kit for about £100 on screwfix, this is a standard 18v combi and a right angle drill, with 2 batts and charger. not sure that the right angle will get lots of use but you could ebay it and buy a bare ryobi drill/driver for all your screwdriving.

ooh look, I just found this.

If you can stretch the budget this Bosch set will cover all your needs, the impactor will become your best friend when driving screws into big timbers (no pilot hole needed!)

Design_Rob said:
Excellent, thanks, just for info, my budget was around £200-£250 for the two, inc batteries and charger.
screw*** are doing ahitatchi 18v wih 2 battries for£90 well worth that price,other than that you can get a hitatchi 14v with 3 battries for less than £120.

Sponsored Links
Deluks said:
Before Big-all jumps in with his "I rate them light to medium trade" routine. I can recommend Ryobi.

l m a o :D :D :D ;)
yes i know i sound like a scratched record :D :D
but i have to agree

big-all said:
Deluks said:
Before Big-all jumps in with his "I rate them light to medium trade" routine. I can recommend Ryobi.

l m a o :D :D :D ;)
yes i know i sound like a scratched record :D :D

I've been wanting to do that for ages :)

Thanks yet again everyone.

Have looked at the Hitachi at Screwfix but it comes with 1.4Ah Ni-Cd Batteries, so for me that's probably a non-starter.

The Ryobi two pack is seriously good value, but again it uses Ni-Cd's. This has really surprised me, I would have thought that nobody uses Ni-Cds any more, or is the cordless tool market a long way behind the camera/laptop market which are now li-ion, after many years of Ni-Mh. I had assumed all batteries would have been Ni-Mh by now? I really don't want to have a great drill let down by poor batteries I need to nurse.

The Bosch drivers mentioned above however are Ni-Mh and are in budget.

I've found a Makita 2 pack which comes with three 2.6ah Ni-MH, and for a bit more 3.0ah ones, but I haven't had any recommendations for Makita.

I've still got a week before I need to commit. Anyone who has a negative or positive opinion on Makita shout now!

The nicads are fine, but you must follow correct charging routine. I get a suprising amount of use from my one+ batteries.

Anyway, you've got the money, get the bosch set. This is perfect for your needs. Like I mentioned before, screwdriving into big timbers is a piece of **** with an impact driver, and the bosch is one of the best you can get. You might be able to pick up equivalent makita set for about the same price, but performance wise it'll be the same. Dunno about makita but the bosch come with a 3 year guarantee if you register within 4 weeks of purchase.

hang fire for the new bosch "turbo tough" range which look like they will out perform the opposition . as for two drills - just get the one and a few trend snappy bits

Late entry!!

Good value and with some accessories to boot. (I'd personally still get the Bosch though for the impact driver ) ;)

I only use makita or bosch blue get li ion if you can afford £258 18v drill driver makita li ion 3 ah on its

Thank you everyone for the advice and links.

Landscape manager at a local builders merchants I use for my day job says she will do me the twin Makita deal for £170 plus VAT without the canvas bag and drill bits. So I'm going for that simply as its too good a deal money wise to miss.

I was going to post a follow up question about 'which sliding mitre saw' but I've found enough answers on other posts, making this a truly useful site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back