Cordless Drill Headache

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a lot of home improvements coming up ranging from putting fitted cupboards up to bulding stud walls. I figured I'd buy myself a nice cordless drill but being a bit poor due to my nice shiny new mortgage I didn't want to spend too much money. I thought I hit jackpot with the Wickes 18v Cordless Combi Hammer Drill http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/186852 (made by Draper I think) but found this was quite heavy at 2.5 Kg and the chuck wobbled. I'm going to return in but now I'm in a dillemma.

I don't know whether to exhange the Wickes for another to see if that one wobbles or to look around for something else. Looking around has done my head in as there's so many different types.

Anyone got any recommendations for between £40 - £60? I've considered the B&Q Performance Power 18V but read that the variable speed on that is not that good as past half way it stops being variable. It is nice and light though. Screwfix are selling an Erbauer and Titan for an OK price but I've never heard of them and don't know how good they are.

Help?

Sponsored Links
get your money back get yourself down to bxq get a ryobi twin starter set in a bag for £100 or less [around £75]
you will get an 18v hammer drill 2 batts charger tool bag and another tool

then the batteries fit all this lot
http://www.ryobitools.co.uk/oneplus/index.htm

you wont regret the initial extra cost
you will regret ant of your other choices :rolleyes:

get your money back get yourself down to bxq get a ryobi twin starter set in a bag for £100 or less [around £75]
you will get an 18v hammer drill 2 batts charger tool bag and another tool

then the batteries fit all this lot
http://www.ryobitools.co.uk/oneplus/index.htm

you wont regret the initial extra cost
you will regret ant of your other choices :rolleyes:

Hi Big All

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been hearing a lot of people recommend ryobi. Have you got a link for the starter set anywhere? I haven't been able to find it on the B&Q website.

I checked out the Wickes Pro 18V cordless but it's unbelievably heavy and after the wobbling chuck on the other one I've been put off.

Sponsored Links
You can get a really nice and light Makita for about £90. I8v, one hour charge two batteries. I've got one and I love it.

Samm.

Don't worry about the Wickes drill, the more expensive ones are better made. The cheap ones are probably far eastern imports, whereas a lot of tools in their professional range are Swiss or German engineered, they also come with 3 or 5 year guarantees, but if it's too heavy for you then try the Ryobi out instore at B&Q.

Here. Don't know how long the 25% off is running for though.

Or if you are in need of a jigsaw at the same time, spend an extra £25 and order from Screwfix. Very good deal.

Samm.

Don't worry about the Wickes drill, the more expensive ones are better made. The cheap ones are probably far eastern imports, whereas a lot of tools in their professional range are Swiss or German engineered, they also come with 3 or 5 year guarantees, but if it's too heavy for you then try the Ryobi out instore at B&Q.

Or if you are in need of a jigsaw at the same time, spend an extra £25 and order from Screwfix. Very good deal.

Thanks guys - thats brilliant. I think the kit including the cordless jigsaw wins for me - I'm imagining all that time saved cutting laminate flooring :D

Samm.

Do you know if the screwfix offer comes with the CDI-1802M? And is this a hammer drill?

Not sure of model name from the screwfix site, but it does have hammer and is a decent enough drill.

Not sure of model name from the screwfix site, but it does have hammer and is a decent enough drill.

i have several of these hammer drills and they are exelent you will not be dissapointed [although the spirit level is a bit gimmicky ;) ]

i have found with the ryobi jigsaw it can be reluctant to cut thin material unless its well supported
so when your cutting your laminate with your [bosch 101b or 101d]blades
support it well if the blades seem reluctant to cut ;)

i have several of these hammer drills and they are exelent you will not be dissapointed [although the spirit level is a bit gimmicky ;) ]

i have found with the ryobi jigsaw it can be reluctant to cut thin material unless its well supported
so when your cutting your laminate with your [bosch 101b or 101d]blades
support it well if the blades seem reluctant to cut ;)

Last question guys - is this drill very heavy? I can';t seem to find the weight specs anywhere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back