Cordless Drill Headache

I was just about to buy the Ryobi and then I saw this Makita.

Now I'm confused again. You get more bang for your buck with the Ryobi but Makita are good aint they?

Sponsored Links
yes its good value as a stand alone tool if your happy to stop there as other add on tools are at least twice the cost of the ryobi equivilent
if you want to build up a collection the ryobi is the way to go ;)

also it has no hammer action where as the ryobi has

the three batteries are just slightly bigger than the 2 batteries with the ryobi
2x 1.7 =3.4ah 3x 1.3 =3.9ah

The makita does have a hammer action, check image 2 on the website also have a look at the pdf download for the full spec.

The makita is a professional grade tool albeit entry spec with 1.3 nicad batteries.

The advantage with the ryobi is the add on tools that you can get, an impact driver for about £70 for example.

If you are using your drill a lot then I personally would go for the makita if your use is not so heavy then get the ryobi.

so makita.......or ryobi, makita,ryobi,makita,ryobi.... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
so makita.......or ryobi, makita,ryobi,makita,ryobi.... :LOL:

I'm with the Ryobi gang on this as a DIYer needing a selection of tools that I can rely on but will not be in use 8 hours a day every day

When it comes to Cordless, the battery is a key part of the 'solution' so if you suspect you will need a variety of tools, then having a common battery standard between them is a benefit not to be underestimated, and the Ryobi One+ range will give you just about as much variety as anyone will need - from Drills to Saws to Angle Grinder to Hedge Trimmers to Chain Saws!!! and all sharing the same Battery and Charger.

If you have a really specific need in your trade that demands a certain tool, then that is when you REALLY look into the detail about a specific tool rather then consider what a tool range may provide you with.

Right since you guys helped me choose I thought I should let you know I bought the screwfix ryobi kit with the drill and jigsaw. Both are solid.

Was a bit disappointed in how Screwfix shipped it as the box was a bit battered and there was no protective packaging around the tools themselves but I reassured myself that the nice screwfix bloke would have taken good care of them in transit :)

Just wondering, are the batteries like phone batteries where you have to charge them for hours before using or should i give them just the 1 hour charge?

turn charger on red light blinks once put the battery in red light constant

charging complete when green light comes on this will take around 2 hrs the first time then gradualy work back towards 1hr but dont worry if the charging times are outside these times as long as they settle down to between 50 to 75 mins ryobi batts can come in 1.5 1.7 and 2ah normal one plus are only avalable in 1.7ah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back