Cordless drill 'running on'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Not sure what the technical term is, but I have a Makita cordless drill and I've noticed that it runs on a little after I have released the trigger. It doesn't do this all the time, but quite a lot of it.

I'm sure this is not a good thing. Would be grateful if someone could explain to me why this is happening, and if it's fixable?

thanks
SB

Sponsored Links
thanks for that. Is it fixable? I think the drill is at least 3 years old, but probably only just

Not the switch sticking for a second after releasing it is it? I've had that happen with a at least one drill. Caused by muck getting in. Repairable by pulling the drill apart and cleaning out around the switch.

Sponsored Links
Dave

I don't think so, although it is a bit mucky! But I might give it a go just in case...

thanks
SB

Your drill will have either a mechanical brake ( where the motor has a clutch band that grabs the spinning shaft when the power is switched off) or more likely an electrical one, where the power from the battery is momentarily reversed to stop the motor.
Personally I'd leave well alone if you can, just to avoid unnecessary expense.....just live with it, unless you hire the tool out.
John :)

i agree with burnerman
if it locks the chuck for one handed operation just select low gear to give maximum resistance when tightening or loostening the chuck

Just an update - I did end up sending it back to Makita for repair (I have a spare so could manage without). Drill returned in working order within 5 days and all done for free (the drill is well out of warrantee!).

I'm very impressed and this level of customer service would make me chose Makita again

SB

Just an update - I did end up sending it back to Makita for repair (I have a spare so could manage without). Drill returned in working order within 5 days and all done for free (the drill is well out of warrantee!).

I'm very impressed and this level of customer service would make me chose Makita again

SB

Had exactly the same service from Dewalt, its nice to know professional tool manufacturers will look after their customers long after any guarantees

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back