corgi training -who pays?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is for employed staff and employers

For Corgi registration is it the employer or the employees legal responsibility to get trained. Who legally has to pay and can an employer refuse to train and then sack an employee if he doesn't want to pay etc?

I don't want to discuss the moral or my boss pays for my training etc if that's ok,;)

i'm only really interested in the legal aspect of certification and how it relates to employers and their employees

An example

A new bit of legislation come in which requires the engineer to get a certificate for ANY gas work .
The employer say's "I'm not paying"
The employee say's "I'm not paying".

Can the employer sack him as not fit for duty and then can the employee claim constructive/unfair dismissal

Advice most welcome

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
as far as i know, if there is a new certification that you require for your EMPLOYMENT then the cost shoud be fronted by your company, - however many of them make you sign stuff to say if you leave you will pay back a percentage etc etc.

If you are not a corgi plumber and work for yourself then you would have to pay to get trained up.
If you have corgi already and are working for someone then they usually pay for any extra appliances you req or if its time for re-training as is reqd every 5 years.
If you mean gas work notification then the employer pays as its they who would be responsible .

As I say this isn't about the industry norm "They usually pay" or the moral "It's their business they should pay"

I have asked a legal expert and it seems the company is perfectly within it's rights to sack someone who won't pay for their own training as they become unsuitable for the job. he has no re-compense and taking them to tribunial would fail.

Sponsored Links
We pay gas engineers based on the qualifications they hold ,so its up to them to cover the cost of re certificating. last lad i trained and paid for stiffed me after 6 weeks, even though he was contracted to pay back training costs if he left before 18 months, he just disappeared so no trace of some one,you cant sue for breach of contract. but may I add I make it clear at the on sett that this is the way we do things they can always turn the job down. but at the moment dont have this worry as I cover most of our gas works myself with my trusty apprentice.

You could pay their training costs out of their wages and then after 18 months pay the money back to them in extra earnings which gives you more chance of loyalty and doesn't leave you out of pocket before they prove loyalty..

It is quite simple. If you want to get into a position where you know you will be in demand and be able to get paid a decent wage, you invest a bit of money in yourself.
Alternatively, you can take that same amount of money spread out over the next 3 years and bring it to the pub. Admittedly, that is much more fun. Downside is of course that nobody will want to hire you, hence your income will be low.

if a company wants to earn money from a gas engineer the company should pay all training costs including pay to do the course, i cannot beleive the amount of companies that send their guys in their own time and at their own cost to retrain, some companies pay the course but book the courses at the weekend so they don't pay labour, could you imagine the outcry if a company needed to train their guys on say scaffold or general health and safety issues like manual handling etc and told the guys to turn up at the yard on a saturday to be trained free the union would have a field day so what is the difference for the gas guys, i've had customer care training, computer training and lots of other courses in my line of work all done on company time and paid for including wages as it should be, nothing signed to say i will pay bay fees if i leave

the gas guys, i've had customer care training, computer training and lots of other courses in my line of work all done on company time and paid for including wages as it should be, nothing signed to say i will pay bay fees if i leave

have you got a twin brother as you must be one of the few loyal members of staff out there.

but on the other side why should a company not protect its investment by a claw back contract. yes it wants to make money out of the gas operative but this will not be an immediate return and needs recovering,in the event ,the newly trained know it all decides hes better than he is.and sods off.

I thought all companies paid for training of payroll staff. Apart from anything else they get tax relief on it. I've heard of "claw back" policies where expensive courses are required, which is kind of understandable where small outfits are concerned. That aside I'd have thought any employer sending his staff off to do their own training was being a bit tight, unless it's made up for in pay and conditions.

Sub-con is of course an entirely different matter.

Sponsored Links
Back