Corner plot dormer bunglaow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Googlemaps.jpg

Current property. It has a front drive which can hold approx. 6 cars.
The unbuilt section at the side rear is a second driveway.
In front of that is a double garage - flat roof.
The side boundary has a large Laurel hedge which is approx. just under 3m in height.
Planning 155 a.jpg

Proposed plan is to build a single storey extension where the current side drive is. As it will be in line with the side and rear of the property, I take it this will come under permitted development, am I correct?

Planning 155 b.jpg

I have seen this on the portal page
Planning Example.jpg

Question;
What are the chances of getting planning permission if I wanted to extend further out towards the side boundary line? I was thinking of 2m (out of the 3m) ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't think I have ever known anybody guarantee an application would get planning permission :!:
ps and unlikely anybody can even guess the chances of approval without knowing the details of the proposals, although I suppose somebody could say depending on this ,that and the other :)

Your side extension you are proposing behind the double garage needs planning permission; it is a side extension that extends towards a Highway. You don't have a 'building line' set by the furthest wall of the garage.. the building line is the outline of the original wall(s). Read page 15 of the Technical Guidance (and the 2 images that you haven't included from that guidance) and apply that to your staggered side elevation.

I'd say it's going to be difficult to extend even further towards the Highway.. You're probably going to have a lot of extensions to the main dwelling to the side, might start to look a bit bulky / clumsy, although that plot on the opposite side may be of use in terms of precedent - Check when that was built / approved and the local policies R.E. House extensions in your area.

Sponsored Links
Your side extension you are proposing behind the double garage needs planning permission; it is a side extension that extends towards a Highway. You don't have a 'building line' set by the furthest wall of the garage.. the building line is the outline of the original wall(s). Read page 15 of the Technical Guidance (and the 2 images that you haven't included from that guidance) and apply that to your staggered side elevation.

I'd say it's going to be difficult to extend even further towards the Highway.. You're probably going to have a lot of extensions to the main dwelling to the side, might start to look a bit bulky / clumsy, although that plot on the opposite side may be of use in terms of precedent - Check when that was built / approved and the local policies R.E. House extensions in your area.

Thanks for your comments.
I have been advised by two architects that if I wish to extend behind the double garage and keep the width the same - then this would come under permitted development. Are you saying this is incorrect and planning would be required?

Are you saying this is incorrect and planning would be required?

Yes.

Imagine for a second, your double garage wasn't there. If you were to add this proposed extension you would need permission because you are adding an extension (as shown as the grey shaded image on the Original Post) that extends off the side of the property (a side extension) and fronts a highway (falls foul of Class A, Part E).

Just because you have a double garage there does not now mean the proposed extension is not a side extension and does not front a highway - it does in either cases and whether the garage is there or not, the proposal does not benefit from Permitted Development.

The architect(s) just aren't clued up with Permitted Development by the sounds of it.

Quick update on this.
Contact my local council planning department and they have confirmed via email that the proposed plans (on my initial post above) does come under permitted development. As the proposed extension is less than half the width of the property (and not wider than the whole property). However due to the length being over 4m they have stated that a 'Prior Approval Application' would be necessary, where the neighbors will be consulted.

If I wish to extend further out to the side boundary then full planning will be required.

So the double garage must be attached to the house and be built at same time as the house (or prior to 1948)? I wouldn't have guessed that from the aerial photo.

Was just about to ask about the Garage (I wouldn't of guessed original either) - the way the Council are saying about the "Prior approval application" seems that they are considering the proposal as a rear extension (Which is over 4m?) Obviously we don't have the benefit of knowing what's original and / or drawings where we can understand dimensions.

I am still pretty comfortable in my view that it needs permission (regardless if the garage is original or not, it still extends of that original side wall) but if the O.P is comfortable that it's Permitted, or PD Regs are interpreted differently by his Local Authority, then fair enough.

Keep us posted if you go for a LDC, or build it / ever have any complaints about it

Was just about to ask about the Garage (I wouldn't of guessed original either) - the way the Council are saying about the "Prior approval application" seems that they are considering the proposal as a rear extension (Which is over 4m?) Obviously we don't have the benefit of knowing what's original and / or drawings where we can understand dimensions.

I am still pretty comfortable in my view that it needs permission (regardless if the garage is original or not, it still extends of that original side wall) but if the O.P is comfortable that it's Permitted, or PD Regs are interpreted differently by his Local Authority, then fair enough.

Keep us posted if you go for a LDC, or build it / ever have any complaints about it

If the garage is attached and original it is treated as part of the "dwelling" so the side wall of the garage is the side wall of the dwelling, therefore the proposal is a "rear extension". Or have the Council dropped a clanger????

Currently there is a double garage.
I dug old plans out, when the property was build it was built with a single garage - width of original property (with single garage) is approx. 12m
The extension width (behind the garages) will be 5.5m wide. Council have stated that as this is less than half the width of the original property (and not wider than the current total width (15m) then it will be permitted.

Even taking the above into account I am considering putting in planning permission as I may require 6.5m.

If the garage is attached and original it is treated as part of the "dwelling" so the side wall of the garage is the side wall of the dwelling, therefore the proposal is a "rear extension". Or have the Council dropped a clanger????

If it is original then yes it would be a rear extension. In either case it doesn't matter too much. The whole crux of this, is the proposed extension extends of the side wall of the main house (where the highest red arrow is pointing towards on the first photo) so therefore the proposed extension is a side extension (or maybe a rear and side if the garage is original).

Indeed when the Council have said this:

Council have stated that as this is less than half the width of the original property (and not wider than the current total width (15m) then it will be permitted.

They are confirming it's a side extension - I don't think anyone's really challenging this, but Under Class A, Part E, it says extensions won't be permitted if:

(e) the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would extend beyond a wall which -
(i) forms the principal elevation of the original dwellinghouse; or
(ii) fronts a highway and forms a side elevation of the original dwellinghouse

It's clearly caught out by (ii) regardless of it's width as it extends off the side of the original house towards a highway. (covered in my replies on the 11th) I won't go on again because it's been covered and the OP is probably not going to go against the advice he's getting from his own LA especially when their interpretation seems to benefit him (which is fair enough)

They are applying for planning permission now anyway aren't they :!:

Thanks for your posts.

As stated earlier they are allowing me to come out by 5.5m wide however I would benefit coming out an extra 1m to 6.5m.

I understand the local council may have missed out (ii) fronts a highway and forms a side elevation of the original dwellinghouse

Would apply for full planning permission potentially cause issues further down the line? Example, if they refuse the extra 1m they might pick up on point ii in bold above and then refuse the permitted permission aswell? or am I thinking too much :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back