Correct Bayonet fitting for hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently installed a under counter double Baumatic electric oven with a Baumatic gas hob which is flush mounted with the counter surface.

PROBLEM: The standard female bayonet fitting comes out of the wall directly where the cooker slides in. It probably sits 3/4" proud of the plaster. I installed a standard straight jointed length of cooker fkex and made up connections to the hob. This worked fine and withstood a leak test etc. However - when I came to slide the electric oven in I found that the cooker flex wouldn't push back against the wall and was not allowing the oven to slide fully flush.

I supsect that I could use a 1/2 " bayonet elbow fitting to take the supply up and parallel to the wall surface and so allow the oven and hob bayonet to fit correctly.

Can anyone give me a headstart on choosing the simplest means of doing this.

Here's the URL of the part I think I need:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=14904

Sponsored Links
Did you read the gas installation instructions that came with the cooker?

Are you 'competant' to do this gas work in any case?

Thanks for the reply. The cooker is electric as stated so there's nothing to be found in the manual. It's the supply to the hob which I'm struggling with, and no there's nothing in the manual there either. The problem is simply that the bayonet fitting on the wall is in an awkward position such that a cooker flex coming out at right angle to the wall doesn't leave enough space for the cooker to slide in.

No I'm not 'competetent' but I am competent. You can make of that what you will. I work in bomb disposal so you'd better bl**dy hope so:) If I were CORGI I probably wouldn't be begging for help on forums.

The item you identified is what you need, what other option is there anyway! As you mentioned CORGI I will too and just point out that this work should be done by one.
The fact that you work in bomb disposal is interesting, but entirely besides the point and for that matter makes you no more competant to do this job than the little old lady on the corner selling flowers. After all you may create a bomb that disposes of you!

Sponsored Links
misternomer said:
Hi,

I recently installed a under counter double Baumatic electric oven with a Baumatic gas hob which is flush mounted with the counter surface.

PROBLEM: The standard female bayonet fitting comes out of the wall directly where the cooker slides in. It probably sits 3/4" proud of the plaster. I installed a standard straight jointed length of cooker fkex and made up connections to the hob. This worked fine and withstood a leak test etc. However - when I came to slide the electric oven in I found that the cooker flex wouldn't push back against the wall and was not allowing the oven to slide fully flush.

I supsect that I could use a 1/2 " bayonet elbow fitting to take the supply up and parallel to the wall surface and so allow the oven and hob bayonet to fit correctly.

Can anyone give me a headstart on choosing the simplest means of doing this.

Here's the URL of the part I think I need:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=14904[/QUOTE]

Them bayonet fittings are too bulky in tight places-you can get a micro point bayonet connector that is a lot smaller and takes up less space but you need the hose to suit as well.

Are you sure that the manufacturers instructions allow for a flexible connection as most hobs these days need a rigid pipe connection ?

Also you can get a straight through rather than elbowed bayonet connector from the merchants but usually the soldered type I think.

misternomer said:
bayonet fitting comes out of the wall directly where the cooker slides in. It probably sits 3/4" proud of the plaster. I installed a standard straight jointed length of cooker fkex and made up connections to the hob.
I supsect that I could use a 1/2 " bayonet elbow fitting to take the supply up

The way you worded that it doesnt sound like you are competent. It seems to imply that you have the bayonet fitting on the hob and the flex coming from the wall.

The instructions usually tell you where a bayonet fitting should be sited. The outlet of the bayonet should point downwards and the flexible pipe should not be stressed or run through a 'forbidden' zone.

In short if you follow the instructions to the letter you shouldn't go wrong. If you are unable to do that for whatever reason then don't even attempt to carry out the work.

You cannot fit a hob on a flex in other words you must get a r.g.i. to fit hob with rigid or semi rigid connection

Slugbabydotcom said:
misternomer said:
The instructions usually tell you where a bayonet fitting should be sited. The outlet of the bayonet should point downwards and the flexible pipe should not be stressed or run through a 'forbidden' zone.

In short if you follow the instructions to the letter you shouldn't go wrong. If you are unable to do that for whatever reason then don't even attempt to carry out the work.

Quite!

weareleeds said:
You cannot fit a hob on a flex in other words you must get a r.g.i. to fit hob with rigid or semi rigid connection

And, indeed, Quite!

I think we're getting a little confused here. I have a standard female 1/2" gas outlet socket which sits just proud of the plaster. I need to plug something into it which allows me to come off parallel to the wall.

How would you make up rigid pipework and is it really necessary?

You can actually connect a hob with a flexible hose if the manufacturers instructions say it's ok. If it doesn't then its got to be semi or rigid-personally I always go for semi-rigid.

misternomer said:
Thanks - do you have a URL for some semi-rigid?

Why don't you get someone who is properly qualified to do this work to do it for you? :confused:

Erm....because I'm on a DIY forum and I'm one of a dwindling band of people who is not so risk averse as to require a professional to do *all* of the electrics and plumbing in my home.

Surely this forum isn't purely for the use of RGI's? If so then I would imagine that all of the above would have been covered off already in their extensive training.

Look - I get a sense of achievement out of doing a job right, with the correct tools and to a high standard of workmanship. I go to sites like this to get what I hope will be useful information about the correct procedures and equipment - not to be lampooned as an amateur.

If you ever want to know anything about explosive ordnance disposal then I'm happy to share tips. Until then - don't blame me for asking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back