Correct Bayonet fitting for hob

So I'm looking for something that takes a female 1/2" Gas cooker bayonet fitting and turns it at right angles using as little depth as possible

Sponsored Links
You appeared to have already found what you were after. When it is installed it should point straight down and connect to the hob via a rigid pipe (unless your hob installation instructions say other wise).

BTW I fully understand your reasons for wanting to do this, and so you can, but it should be tested and checked by an RGI to comply with the law. If this is your chosen route then at least make your self familiar with the regulations for such installations.
I assume that it is necassary for operatives in your line of work to be approved to carry it out, or at least to be supervised by someone who is - or is the manpower turnover too high to justify this?! :D

The Baumatic manuals are perfectly clear as to the installation requirements. It refers to Bristish Standards and GSI&U regs. and a whole host of other documents that you have not read.

A rigid copper connection is required.

I and probably no other regular pro. on this site is going to tell you how to plumb the hob in when it is clearly apparent you have vitually no knowledge of the installation requirements. Running gas pipework is not diy and would be very irresponsible of me to give you advice. From a legal point of view it is very clear - it is an offence to carry out gas wwork unless you are fully competent.

Would you be happy for me to defuse a 17A in a SC250 via a forum? :LOL:

Do you have to have regular assesments of your competence?

Sponsored Links
Guys - I'll never win this argument since I'm obviously outnumbered by pros.

I personally think it's perfectly reasonable for somebody to do their own plumbing. Yes - a litany of things can go wrong and I'm sure you'll al be along shortly to tell me what a numbskull I am for attempting the impossible. I can see you all rocking back on your chairs thinking "Boom!"

You may as well say that I can't lop off branches from the oak outside my house because of the possible risk to myself and others. Chainsaws are just too dangerous. That would be great business for tree surgeons everywhere and another nail in the coffin of the consciencious people who do this sort of work on their own property every day.

At some point the law departs from what is reasonable in the eyes of normal competent people. That's why people like me end up ferreting around forums trying pick up tips as if we were trying to score crack cocaine.

Admittedly bomb disposal is probably a pretty poor point of comparison since nobody ever tried to do that without adult supervision. Plumbing's a little different until recently it was accepted that it was risky, but within the law and within the scope of competent people. But if you wanted to e.g. use a mini digger I'd tell you about the risks (be careful of that buried cable!) and help you around the problem.

The fact that I don't know the correct terminology doesn't mark me out as an idiot. Just somebody who doesn't use the lingo every day.

Yes I intend to read the regs and the manuals and wouldn't carry out any work without regard to the correct working method.

The question remains - why would I even be on this forum if I were CORGI? I've noticed a few of the posts end this way:)

Come on guys - this is plumbing. Not open-heart surgery.

misternomer said:
The fact that I don't know the correct terminology doesn't mark me out as an idiot. Just somebody who doesn't use the lingo every day.

Yes I intend to read the regs and the manuals and wouldn't carry out any work without regard to the correct working method.

The question remains - why would I even be on this forum if I were CORGI? I've noticed a few of the posts end this way:)

Come on guys - this is plumbing. Not open-heart surgery.

I don't think that anyone thinks that you're an idiot. It's not really plumbing though, if it were you would be getting help by the bucketful.

The point people are making is that it is illegal for you to do the work, no matter how competent you think you are. There is also the small matter of notifying the work to BC and Corgi.

Yes - but it became illegal when somebody made a value judgement about the likely competence of ANYONE attempting to do the job. As a result I'm tarred with the same brush as evrry chancer that's ever used gaffer tape on the basis nthat it seems more sturdy than PTFE.

The BC and Corgi issues are just more of the same where I'm concerned. Yet more arbitary bodies which conspire to make every job expensive, time consuming and a tie-up for the expensively qualified.

Look - I'm going to have a crack at the work anyway and like most reasonably minded people I'll give in despair if I think my work is unlikely to come up to scratch. At that point you can thumb your noses at me and say I told you so. I have a suspiscion that this is a relatively straightforward job and I'm bloody-minded enough to do it myself. When BC and Corgi come-a-knocking I'll just tell then that the work was done a while back and I have no accompanying docs. That makes me irresponsible in many people's eyes I'm sure. But that's what sometimes happens when you legislate for idiots.

misternomer said:
The fact that I don't know the correct terminology doesn't mark me out as an idiot.

'fraid it does matey.... it shows to us you can't be arsed to even look on a few plumbing sites to know what the fittings are called. And since you can't make the effort to do that you certainly aren't going to read the GSI&U regs and the host of other documents. You have'nt even read the installation manual properly...it tells you everything you need.

Besides which your missing the point. Plumbing is a considerably lower category risk...thats why plumbers do not have to be licenced.

I don't give a toss if you want to cut down trees...so you cut your arm off or fall out the tree...do I care...not really...doesn't effect me or anyone else.

Ok so you plumb your hob in with the illegally fitted hose and it shears off and the house goes bang. As I said I don't care what you do with your own life but what about everyone else, what happens to the next owners having dodgy gas work? What happens to diynot when the HSE ask why we're telling the public to run their own gas pipework?

Yep plumbing a hob isn't open heart surgery but a surgeon screws up he kills the patient, gas installer screws up he could drop a tower block.

So would you be happy instructing me to defuse that bomb via the forum :LOL:

The law's the law old chap! If the law said that you couldn't lop your oak and then you did and clobbered someone's car or even a person then you would be right up the creek, though for all I know it could be the law and this is the point - I don't know the score so before I do something I should check to see that I am allowed to; as opposed to able to. Big difference.
As frustrating as this is for you Understandably), and it is indeed a relatively simple job, you are legally unable to do it and, as an intelligent fellow should leave it at that.
That gives you another chance to mention that you are a bomb disposal expert! and speaking of heart surgery does ordnance disposal make you competant to do that too :D ;)

Yeah - I'd give it a go if it made us both happy;)

But really - I'm asking the questions to find out the correct and SAFE way to do it, according to the regs. I'm not at home so I don't have the Baumatic manual with me, but read it I surely will.

If somebody would just LET me I'd open them right up on the kitchen counter. As you can see, I like a challenge :LOL:

misternomer said:
Yeah - I'd give it a go if it made us both happy;)

But really - I'm asking the questions to find out the correct and SAFE way to do it, according to the regs. I'm not at home so I don't have the Baumatic manual with me, but read it I surely will.

Easy. The correct and SAFE way is to get an RGI to do it for you...

You could get CORGI registered yourself as long as you have the prerequisites and are happy to pay the fees. Possibly a little expensive just to connect a hob - even for a bomb disposal expert :LOL:

misternomer said:
If somebody would just LET me I'd open them right up on the kitchen counter. As you can see, I like a challenge :LOL:

Connecting a hob is hardly a challenge, just illegal if you aren't properly qualified and registered :(

Just to add a few words and risk a ton of bricks . .

I do not believe it is illegal to DIY gas IF you are competent (and someone on here has a signature to that effect). There is the small matter of showing your competence if something goes wrong and you try to claim on your insurance . . . . Or your neighbours try to claim from you!

There may also be a requirement to notify Building Control.

BTW - How do you test for leaks?

misternomer said:
I'm not at home so I don't have the Baumatic manual with me, but read it I surely will.

Well there happens to be a site called google.

Use it and do a search on Baumatic and download the manual.

Within the manual it mentions all the statutory doccuments that govern the installation.

Buy and read all the documents:

Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations
Building Regulations
IEE wiring Regulations
BS5440
BS6172
BS6891
IGE procedures for tightness testing

Then buy the test gear required and learn the procedures required for installing the hob.

I'm sure you'll do well ;)

BTW 90% of gas leaks I find are on hobs :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back