Correct cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a surface mounted twin socket and spur cable in 1.5mm solid cable. I was thinking of rerouting the cable, still surface mounted, but in white 1.5mm flexible cable just for appearance. On the spur twin socket it will only run a router and a lamp. Is it ok? As far as I can see there won't be a problem with current etc but is it against any regs? Sorry I'm sure it's probably been asked before.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the answer. Is it against the regs though? I only ever have the router and a lamp plugged in? Sorry forgot to mention there will be a fused box in line.

Like this one

IMG_4050.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Is it against the regs though?
Well, it is not in line with the correct design of a circuit but as yet the police will probably not bother intervening.

I only ever have the router and a lamp plugged in?
...but other appliances are possible.

Sorry forgot to mention there will be a fused box in line.
Well, if you put a 13A (or lower) fuse in it then the smaller flex will be alright but -

why are you making such a fuss and why would you rather have a Fused Connector Unit than a slightly larger cable?

Thanks for the reply. It's only that I have 10m of 1.5mm white flexible cable already. I also thought there was a spur then and a further one in line but that's not the case. Then I thought it has to be fused.

It's only that I have 10m of 1.5mm white flexible cable already.
Then keep it until you need some 1.5mm² otherwise when that time comes you won't have any.

I also thought there was a spur then and a further one in line but that's not the case. Then I thought it has to be fused.
Cables have to be fused if the possible demand exceeds the cable's capacity.

The design current for circuit Ib is not the same as the current rating of the circuit, so yes Ib is 20 amp for a twin socket when working out volt drop, but 26 amp when working out if some other current limiting device is required.

A double socket-outlet is rated for 20A across both outlets only.
But people can and do plug 2 heavy loads into double sockets... Sadly the accessories can't read the regs and they don't know they are not allowed to supply 26A

A double socket-outlet is rated for 20A across both outlets only.
I would be very interested to hear of any double socket you have come across which states that it's total 'rating' is 20A.

It is true that BS 1363 required double sockets to, as a minimum, pass a temperature-rise test at 20A total load (for some reason 14A + 6A, even though most people would agree that 14A from one outlet was'not right') - but that in no way precludes a manufacture producing a product which exceeds that minimum requirement, and 'rating' it accordingly.

1.5mm to a socket from a 13 amp fused connection unit is fine and within regs.

1.5mm to a socket from a 13 amp fused connection unit is fine and within regs.
Indeed - and so (with very few exceptions) is it fine to for 1.5mm cable to go from a ring final (as a spur) to an FCU or a single socket - even though Appendix 15 of the regs doesn't seem to have thought that one through.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed - and so (with very few exceptions) is it fine to for 1.5mm cable to go from a ring final (as a spur) to an FCU or a single socket - even though Appendix 15 of the regs doesn't seem to have thought that one through.

Kind Regards, John
I'll have to say no as appendix 15 says 2.5mm so it would be silly not to follow that, No?

But I see your point, no reason why you shouldn't.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back