Cost of building Garage... 27K?

Never used one myself but you can get various pre-fab garages, might be worth a look?

Sponsored Links
OP if you`re in SE London - get some Sussex Builders to quote . If you`re N. of the river listen to Hertfordshire`s finest (Herts. Drainage ) ;)

I've just doubled the size of my garage for circa £5k and I could easily have rebuilt it for £12k. The trick is to break it down and shop around for materials.

Simply got a labourer to clear the land and dig the trench down to clay for the foundations. £600 including concrete and skip.

Sourced 5 pallets of 73mm reject bricks, £335 believe it or not. Bricklayer cost another £750 to take the walls up to 3.4mtrs.

Complete new dual pitched roof cost £2k

UPC door and window off eBay for £80. Fitted myself.

Concrete floor dug out and poured £500.

Electric lighting and sockets £500

Oh, and £600 for a second hand single post car lift but I don't count the cost of that. It's the reason my roof height is so high.

I employed labourers for all the digging out and general labouring, builders charge a lot of money for this portion of unskilled work.

Sponsored Links
Found mine off Gumtree but you have to be tough. The first sign of problems and I get rid. One guy worked well when I was around and did next to nothing when I wasn't. He was warned once about this and sacked off the job on day two after a continuation of the problem. One of the best I found was a 17 year trying to get an apprenticeship and just trying to learn as much as he could and keeping busy. When asked how much he charged or the day he said £30! I paid him £75, couldn't bring myself to even pay a 17 year old £30 a day. The labourer I got rid of was an older guy and even he only wanted £75 a day, I paid him £100. Oh, and then there are the dicks on there who pretend they want a job but actually only post an ad to satisfy the job centre that they are looking for work. One such dick completely wasted my time before I wised up to the ways of those on benefits. Also got rid of my first brickies when they started moaning on day two that they had underpriced the job, there is only one way those sort of relationships end up and I sever the ties early before things get out of hand. Took me two hours to find another brickie and didn't cost me any more than originally envisaged to get the brickwork finished. Most decent brickies will lay 300-350 bricks per day an expect to pay circa £120 per day labour. Control the supply of materials and know what labour costs and you've got it cracked.

Found mine off Gumtree but you have to be tough. The first sign of problems and I get rid. One guy worked well when I was around and did next to nothing when I wasn't. He was warned once about this and sacked off the job on day two after a continuation of the problem. One of the best I found was a 17 year trying to get an apprenticeship and just trying to learn as much as he could and keeping busy. When asked how much he charged or the day he said £30! I paid him £75, couldn't bring myself to even pay a 17 year old £30 a day. The labourer I got rid of was an older guy and even he only wanted £75 a day, I paid him £100. Oh, and then there are the dicks on there who pretend they want a job but actually only post an ad to satisfy the job centre that they are looking for work. One such dick completely wasted my time before I wised up to the ways of those on benefits. Also got rid of my first brickies when they started moaning on day two that they had underpriced the job, there is only one way those sort of relationships end up and I sever the ties early before things get out of hand. Took me two hours to find another brickie and didn't cost me any more than originally envisaged to get the brickwork finished. Most decent brickies will lay 300-350 bricks per day an expect to pay circa £120 per day labour. Control the supply of materials and know what labour costs and you've got it cracked.

Excellent post - The first post on this website that is actually sensible

well done

I've just doubled the size of my garage for circa £5k and I could easily have rebuilt it for £12k. The trick is to break it down and shop around for materials.

Simply got a labourer to clear the land and dig the trench down to clay for the foundations. £600 including concrete and skip.

Sourced 5 pallets of 73mm reject bricks, £335 believe it or not. Bricklayer cost another £750 to take the walls up to 3.4mtrs.

Complete new dual pitched roof cost £2k

UPC door and window off eBay for £80. Fitted myself.

Concrete floor dug out and poured £500.

Electric lighting and sockets £500

Oh, and £600 for a second hand single post car lift but I don't count the cost of that. It's the reason my roof height is so high.

I employed labourers for all the digging out and general labouring, builders charge a lot of money for this portion of unskilled work.

Can I ask you to break down the dual pitch roof please?

Complete new dual pitched roof cost £2k - WHere did the 2k go?

Good post , Joe - you`re just like my old Scottish guv`nor ( on the Housing Association maintenance) he was a Finishing Foreman on newbuilds in the late 70`s - the scourge of the subbies :LOL:

Yep - this is the way to maximise the value for money if you are prepared to be the builder, effectively.

Of course this also shows what you're paying for when you get a proper main contractor builder in. They handle all of this sort of hassle, as well as contributing their significant experience/knowledge, and they take the financial risk if something goes wrong and has to be redone.

Hi, I'm looking to build a garage at the back of my property and have received some pretty eye watering quotes: 18K, 27K and wait for it... 38K. Admittedly the property is in London but still.. can someone tell me if I'm being unrealistic in expecting a quote around 10-12K (max). It's just to park my car and I asked for a garage that is
5.5m x 5.5M - three walls constructed with breeze blocks (1 side wall rendered), 1 with london yellow brick.
1 pvc door at side
1 window about 1 x 1 m with one opening.
Pitched roof tiled
Fit supplied garage door

Any thoughts?

you can do it easily with 10k - hire a few people to dig trenches at 60 per day

Bring in brickie for three days at 90 a day

Roofer for two days at 100 a day

Pretty much done!!!

A brickie for £90.00 a day in London ????

I'm in Norfolk and i wouldn't get out of bed for anything less than £150.00 a day.

You'll get out off bed for what ever the market is paying.
Brother used to earn €1200 per week as a site manager back in 03 and said he wouldn't get out of bed for £400 quid a week.

Well he still gets out off bed and for £400 quid and less now per week.
Never over estimate your self. Greed gets the better of most people.

A very late response to the question regarding the cost of the dual pitch roof but this was the one area where I got a bargain. I reclaimed enough tiles from the original roof to cover one pitch of the new roof and bought new tiles for the other pitch. I paid around £600 for roof timbers and tiles. I know an excellent roofer and had in the past helped him out with some tender documents he was submitting. When it came to doing my roof he had the cut timbers installed in a day and all tiled on the second day. To contextualise the cost, I paid him £1400 for labour and materials on top of the £600 I'd already paid for materials. I reckon he made circa £1200 labour between two men for two days.

Hi, I'm looking to build a garage at the back of my property and have received some pretty eye watering quotes: 18K, 27K and wait for it... 38K. Admittedly the property is in London but still.. can someone tell me if I'm being unrealistic in expecting a quote around 10-12K (max). It's just to park my car and I asked for a garage that is
5.5m x 5.5M - three walls constructed with breeze blocks (1 side wall rendered), 1 with london yellow brick.
1 pvc door at side
1 window about 1 x 1 m with one opening.
Pitched roof tiled
Fit supplied garage door

Any thoughts?

you can do it easily with 10k - hire a few people to dig trenches at 60 per day

Bring in brickie for three days at 90 a day

Roofer for two days at 100 a day

Pretty much done!!!
where can you find a bricky for 90 a day ill have ten and roofers for 100 a joke

I had one made about 18 months ago. Just under the 30m2 BR limit. Cavity insulated walls with block and brick, double pitched tiled roof with two gable ends. Double glazed and leccy.

Due to proximity of trees it needed an engineered foundation of pads and steel.

The builder originally quoted about £23k. I wasn't ready to go ahead but when he became short of work he rang me and offered to do it for £18k and so I went for it.

He insisted that there was no profit in it for him at that price but he needed to keep his gang in work. Whether this is true or not I have no idea.
18 k is a reasonable quote in my book not ott depends on the brick you use and the garage doors are hugely different in cost

Can anyone explain how the costs arrive at 20k? I can't see it myself.
Bricks on average are 600 a thousand you would need about 3200 to build a double garage then about 500 for trusses 1600 for roof tiles garage doo and frame 500 footings and oversite would depend on the ground conditions so its difficult then theres all the other costs soakaway drainage fascia gutter 18k is reasonable also scaffolding to fit roof lintols anyone who prices for ten to twelve k are botching or cutting corners at the end of the day the value of your house is reflected on what you build

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back