Cost Of Installing Downlights - A Joke

He's got to be a troll.

Even a total fwit would understand the need for safety.

Sponsored Links
Yes it was legal. DIY to my house not in kitchen or bathroom

No it was not. you did not notify, and you are not a member of a part P accredited scheme. You have installed new fixed wiring, and so you must notify and have the installation tested, or get it installed and tested by a qualified electrician.

What room its in has no bearing on that.

Your installation is not up to scratch and you know it. You have almost 5 amps worth of lighting in one room, and on one lighting circuit. However, seeing as though you thought a light switch had a built in fuse on one of your other topics, then i guess your just too damned thick to realise this.

There wont be a fire because we dont leave lights on at night

Wow, i did not realise that fires only started when lights are left on at night! I will remember not to leave any lights turned on at night from now on.

No it was not. you did not notify, and you are not a member of a part P accredited scheme. You have installed new fixed wiring, and so you must notify and have the installation tested, or get it installed and tested by a qualified electrician.

Your installation is not up to scratch and you know it. You have almost 5 amps worth of lighting in one room, and on one lighting circuit. However, seeing as though you thought a light switch had a built in fuse on one of your other topics, then i guess your just too damned thick to realise this.

There wont be a fire because we dont leave lights on at night

Wow, i did not realise that fires only started when lights are left on at night! I will remember not to leave any lights turned on at night from now on.

http://www.ratedpeople.com/m/advice/regulation/electrics/non-notifiable-electrical-work.html

Adding additional lighting, light fittings and switches, to an existing circuit.

Thats what I did - I used an existing lighting circut and added ligghts

So not notifiable

Sponsored Links

Eh? What??????
Please explain how this work is notifiable?

As I understand it, there has been no new circuit to the consumer unit. Its not in a kitchen/bathroom, so there is no requirement to notify, etc etc.

The downlights are LV, so not notifiable.
He's probably using the existing switch drop so no fixed cabling added less than 50mm from the surface so RCD requirement does not come in to play.

there seems to be an awful lot of people on this thread arguing between themselves over the regs.does this mean some so called experts do not know them then??or is this another thing where it comes down to the installers opinion at the time?
im not meaning to add fuel to the fire :rolleyes: as i know nothing about electrics but i am following this thread as its making me chuckle. ;)

there seems to be an awful lot of people on this thread arguing between themselves over the regs.does this mean some so called experts do not know them then??or is this another thing where it comes down to the installers opinion at the time?
im not meaning to add fuel to the fire :rolleyes: as i know nothing about electrics but i am following this thread as its making me chuckle. ;)

Same here, but I am sure BAS will be along shortly with a ten-page reply. :LOL:

Eh? What??????
Please explain how this work is notifiable?

As I understand it, there has been no new circuit to the consumer unit. Its not in a kitchen/bathroom, so there is no requirement to notify, etc etc.

The downlights are LV, so not notifiable.
He's probably using the existing switch drop so no fixed cabling added less than 50mm from the surface so RCD requirement does not come in to play.

Approved document P section 3.13:

"None notifiable electrical installation work, like notifiable work, should be designed, installed, tested and certificated in accordance with BS7671."

Ok so its not classed as notifiable work - hands up my error. However this statement makes it quite clear that it should be treated in the same way as notifiable work

what amazes me is that he thinks the mcb tripping proves it works. To the OP. Can you tell us what your EFLI reading was at the end odf the circuit. How do you know the fuse will disconnect in the required time?

He cant, because he probably doesnt know what EFLI stands for. This is the man who thought that a 10A rated light switch meant that it had a 10A internal fuse....

i think this thread gets to the point of it all. Too many DIYers think that because work is not notifiable, it can be carried out in any manner as long as it "works"

This bloke has no clue. Less than a month ago he struggled with a simple light switch and it was clear he had no clue when it came to electrics.

After finding that a struggle, I can't understand why he thought he could suddenly carry out this type of work.

People who just keep trying different wiring combos until the MCB stops tripping and the lights work truly are complete and utter pillocks.

This honestly is scary reading: //www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/taking-power-from-socket-for-light-switch.355588/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back