Cost Of Installing Downlights - A Joke

Don't worry, I am sure he knows a good builder to replace the ceiling joists when the down-lighters set fire to them all!

I do a bit of DIY electrical work myself, but I am not arrogant and think electricians charge a decent rate for the work and responsibility involved. But the OP has done all the proper testing etc.

what testing exactly? The lights work or they do not

Quite simple really.

Sponsored Links
Its unfortunate that electricans are miffed that people can pretty much do DIY themselves.

If they would have it their way no one could touch electrics and they would have a monopoly to do as you please.

Having met the three electricans who quoted I doubt any of them had a single o level pass. And I am also pretty sure that they would not have wired it up any differently

Deludedaussie - u are quite clearly deluded. Go back down under you fool. Some of the calculations required when designing complex installations are quite, um, complex. Not that you would understand so no point trying to explain.

Deludedaussie - u are quite clearly deluded. Go back down under you fool. Some of the calculations required when designing complex installations are quite, um, complex. Not that you would understand so no point trying to explain.

yes very complex to install some lights

requires a PHD and complex maths.

no one has given me a credible explanation for why 1k was quoted. in fact quite a few feel that is about right

Sponsored Links
Don't worry, I am sure he knows a good builder to replace the ceiling joists when the down-lighters set fire to them all!

I do a bit of DIY electrical work myself, but I am not arrogant and think electricians charge a decent rate for the work and responsibility involved. But the OP has done all the proper testing etc.

Quite simple really.

I can't work out if you're just a troll. Are you really really that ignorant? If you carry on doing electrical work you will kill somebody. Stop right now!.

I would never do what you have just done without having proper test equipment, it would be a job for a sparkie.

Apart from the safety aspect, testing can tell if the mcb will work before the wires melt.

Do you know how to do it?

well I trippped the mcb a few times during installation so yes I know the mcb works. The breaker is 6Amps and works fine.

Dont tell me that when you come to fit my downlights you will also be checking for the integrity of all my electrics? Just in case like?

And maybe the whole street in case of a fire risk?

The job was to install downlights and thats it - nothing more nothing less.

having read this post again i find it staggering that some people with a straight face can think of all sorts of ways to make a simply job more complex.

Like some clown saying fire rated were mandatory when it turns out they were not and someone else questioning the quality of perfectly decent downlights which are sold in the millions

Dont tell me that when you come to fit my downlights you will also be checking for the integrity of all my electrics? Just in case like?
Obviously not.
No electrician or any other tradesperson has ever visited your house.

In fact, you probably don't even live in a house.

Under a bridge is rather more likely.

Deluded Aussie you are just that deluded and completely clueless about what you are doing with electrics. stop doing it before you kill yourself or others.

Its unfortunate that electricans are miffed that people can pretty much do DIY themselves.
No - what people here are miffed about is your unbelievably arrogant and ignorant attitude, and the number of times you write something which you think shows you know what you are doing when in reality it's just one more example of what a complete f**kwit you are.

The room was empty - No access from above required. Holes made in ceiling to thread through cable

All access was done from below? So you 'stitched' under joists where required? Another non compliance then.

Quite simple really.

You are so ignorant to believe that just because a circuit is 'working' it is safe and installed correctly.

well I trippped the mcb a few times during installation so yes I know the mcb works. The breaker is 6Amps and works fine.

That says it all doesn't it. Are you aware that if an MCB trips several times on circuit with a high fault current there is a good chance it will eventually fail?

Anything upto the point where the addition is made, yes, of course you would. How about RCD protection to the circuit? This would be factored into any quote, as is more than likely required. Is your main protective bonding upto the current requirements? This would more than likely be factored into the quote too. both items would need to be carried out before additions like this.

The main thing the sparkies who have quoted have factored in is the 'w*nker factor'. Quite often added to quotes after a first meet.

Lets have some photos of your install and your connections.

How many other lights and what type are on the same circuit?

Do you have RCD protection to this circuit? Is the switch drop buried in a wall?

How did you terminate two sets of cables into these fittings?

Are your terminations enclosed?

Have you ensured (and tested) you have earth continuity to the final fitting?

well I trippped the mcb a few times during installation so yes I know the mcb works. The breaker is 6Amps and works fine
Working Live without the skill to avoid a short circuit. Good thing it was a 6 amp magnetic trip ( fast acting ) and not a slow blow wired fuse. 100 amp supply fuse will be the next when the 6 amp MCB fails to open.

A 6 amp MCB will supply well over a kilowatt of power into a fault without ever tripping. If that kilowatt of prolonged energy is confined to a small area around the fault then a fire is almost certainly going to happen.

In Australia DIY electrics has all but been killed off by the fines and building inspector controls.

I have to say that Deluded Aussie might will have been there driving force :LOL:

In Australia DIY electrics has all but been killed off by the fines and building inspector controls.

I have to say that Deluded Aussie might will have been there driving force :LOL:
Strangely I was having the same cosmic thoughts!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back