Cost of labour to fit an extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm needing to roughly guage whether a half day seems reasonable for drilling the hole in the wall and fitting a 150mm extractor fan. There is an electrical supply to the external light at the point it's to be installed and below is a socket should it need to be spurred. Electricians in the area have too much work on and can't come out to give me an estimate for a couple of weeks and I need an estimate for my house buyer to compensate for work to be done.

Sponsored Links
So many factors need to be taken into account - bathroom ? Toilet? Utility room? Is an RCD/RCBO present already?

I'd factor at least £200

Sadly Flameport not to the buyers. In fairness it's so Building Control will issue a completion certificate for work done by the previous owner. I don't know whether the buyers solicitor is being paid by the hour but he's being extremely pedantic on all matters.

Sponsored Links
In fairness it's so Building Control will issue a completion certificate for work done by the previous owner.
and has this been confirmed as an outstanding issue - and the only issue , and that building control did say this was needed for completion
What room is this - does it have an opening windows - was the work , a new build?

I would also factor in the cost of building control signing off
BUT as stated by @flameport
In the context of buying a house, the cost of installing an extractor fan is irrelevant.
sold as seen , really is the buyer going to lose the house over a FAN !!!!!!!

and is that all that they are trying to re-negotiate the price on ???

house prices go up , they have spent a lot of money getting to this stage - not sure of your situation, but having sold a few houses and having solicitors bring this sort of thing up - in a list of loads of items , I tend to go back and say its sold as seen, otherwise you can get into loads and loads of petty stuff....
BUT you may need to sell quickly and not have a further delay as the chain and what you are buying

What did you state in the property info pack?

but he's being extremely pedantic on all matters.
To be fair , that is his job, to bring to the attention of the buyers , but its up to the buyers , if they want to be bothered by all this - They maybe on a fixed price , BUT i know someone who was on a fixed deal , but it then got into all this type of thing , and the solicitors said they could nolonger stay at fixed price because of the the issues - ... and also 2 houses involved in the end , and pretty exceptional problems and changing of minds by sellers , ending up costing all in for solicitors (including stampduty - as they missed the deadline) £24K !!!!!!!! so again the buyer may need to be awar

Last edited:
When the house was bought in 2012, the Property Information Pack did not require a Building Control Completion Certificate as such. We were provided with Building Control pass certificates for the work carried out, the seller said there were no outstanding issues, which our solicitor accepted.
The completion of our sale now was supposed to happen at the end of August. This matter raised its head as an issue by the buyers solicitor just over a week ago. On Monday the Building Control inspector identified ventilation as an issue and advised on the fan before he can issue the completion certificate. We just want to get this sale over the line.

If all they want is a quote so they can knock that amount off the price of the house, Tell them its £50

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back