Cost of land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has a large piece of land at the end of his garden which borders my garden. I'm interested in buying all (or some) of it to put a double garage on and to increase the size of my garden but I have no idea how much land like this is worth.

The ground is about 16 metres by 16 metres. It is landlocked with no external access other that through the gardens of the three neighbouring properties. It is VERY overgrown and has not been tended for many years.

Anyone got any ideas what the price is per sq metre for this type of ground? I have no idea what to pay.

Cheers
Edddiec

Sponsored Links
Hey, I watched a new homes under the hammer today and the chap purchased a piece of land at the bottom of his garden some 8x2meters for 11000 pounds from an old lady.

As always with these matter, it's worth a combination of what you're prepared to pay for / what the seller wants for it. I know that doesn't really help, but that is the truth of the matter. You need to ask what they would want for it, then the usual haggling will take place.

As it is landlocked how do you propose to get cars into it if you build a double garage?

That IMO would be a factor in not making it worth as much as land that has good access.

Sponsored Links
My neighbour has a large piece of land at the end of his garden which borders my garden. I'm interested in buying all (or some) of it to put a double garage on and to increase the size of my garden but I have no idea how much land like this is worth.

The ground is about 16 metres by 16 metres. It is landlocked with no external access other that through the gardens of the three neighbouring properties. It is VERY overgrown and has not been tended for many years.

Anyone got any ideas what the price is per sq metre for this type of ground? I have no idea what to pay.

Cheers eddeiec What you need to do is ask what price your neighbour wants for this peice of land they probablly wants less than you are willing to pay .

It all boils down to negotiation if the land is of no use to your neighbour and no one else wants it this puts you in a good position .

I purchase vehicles for a living and always ask the seller what they want for their vehicle and at least 30% of the time they actually want less than i would have paid them.
phil
Edddiec

And your point is? Or have you mad a point but disguised it with incorrect quotes?

I don't understand this last reply.

If you don't have something positive to add the why post a reply at all?

I think you'll find his amateur post was meant to read like this:

Cheers
Edddiec

What you need to do is ask what price your neighbour wants for this peice of land they probablly wants less than you are willing to pay .

It all boils down to negotiation if the land is of no use to your neighbour and no one else wants it this puts you in a good position .

I purchase vehicles for a living and always ask the seller what they want for their vehicle and at least 30% of the time they actually want less than i would have paid them.
phil

Basically as has already been mentioned, it is worth what you are prepared to pay and the only way to open the negotiation is for you to approach your neighbour with a figure if he does not readily offer one to you. It is for the seller to decide its worth not you. It is very difficult for any forum members to identify its value as it depends on a whole host of variables: geographical location, access (you mentioned that it was for a garage so some form of access may be possible we do not know), likelihood of permissions ever to be granted (irrespective of whether you tell your neighbour you have any intention of selling it on or not) and more importantly is your neighbour a shrewd cookie or a numpty etc etc.

I don't understand this last reply.

If you don't have something positive to add the why post a reply at all?

Yes i apologise for my very amateur post ,very new to forums.

And thanks to Freddie for deciphering it .

My advice for what it is worth,is worth following talk to your neighbor and see what they think the land is worth.Land with no access and of no use to anyone else has a value all of its own.

Phill

And your point is? Or have you mad a point but disguised it with incorrect quotes?

do get your spelling right if your going to have a pop at someone, or you look a bit silly! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back