Cost of Replacing Kitchen Worktops...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to remove 2 old laminate worktops and replace with solid wood items. Both approx 250cm x 60cm, joined together (L shape)

In my mind I thought “a grand to buy the worktops and a grand to pay someone to do the work” but the only quote I’ve had so far is £3,500 (+VAT), which made my eyes water a bit. Wondering if I’m being unrealistic, or maybe they’re busy and don’t really want the work unless they can get top dollar for it.

I’m close to central London which probably bumps the cost up a bit tbf.

Grateful for any thoughts. I’m not in any hurry so maybe I just keep looking for alternative quotes until I find something a bit more wallet-friendly.

I don’t think I want to attempt the job myself. One mistake cutting and you’ve ruined an expensive worktop & have to start again.

Sponsored Links
£200-£400 for tops depending on type.
Only a days work for skilled kitchen fitters, any hob or sink to fit?

Thank you. Yeah those prices sound a bit more sensible. To be fair yes I’ll need a new sink fitting (and presumably a bit of tinkering with the plumbing under the sink) and a gas hob to be disconnected and then reconnected afterwards (proper gas safe qualified person), so there’s a bit more work than just the worktops themselves. Still...

Are you supplying the worktops and other materials?

But saying that £3K5 + Vat for materials and fitting does sound very high even in London.

Self Employed in London I'd be expecting £400 per man + travel costs (due to parking and Low Emission charges) perday. Out of town £350 max per man per day. But that job should be one days work for 1 or 2 men. Me thinks the quote is blind (i.e. they didn't turn up to inspect) and they are hoping to fit a full kitchen.

Sponsored Links
The 3500 + VAT quote was on the basis that they’d get the worktops and sink from their own supplier, but I’d be equally happy to buy those myself and just pay to have everything cut and fitted.

the quote was indeed blind - I described the details on the phone and sent a couple of photos, but that’s all. I get the impression the company concerned likes to do full kitchen refits so maybe they take the view that “we don’t get out of bed for less than £3k” or something like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back