Could Brexit create new manufacturing.

I'm not quite so involved with plumbing these days, but not heard any problems. Never had any problems with their service department or getting parts.
Our company have on occasion struggled to obtain parts. Had a few issues with flow switches, S1/S2 sensors, pressure sensors and an ignition lead.

Also - this applies to any boiler - if they’re installed on dirty systems, expect components to fail - had issues with expansion vessel communication pipes and blocked pressure sensors.

Sponsored Links
Also - this applies to any boiler - if they’re installed on dirty systems, expect components to fail - had issues with expansion vessel communication pipes and blocked pressure sensors

Does power flushing reduce that risk?

I’m probably going to have to replace the rads as they aren’t too clever, I guess that’ll get rid of some of the sludge.

I’m probably going to have to replace the rads as they aren’t too clever, I guess that’ll get rid of some of the sludge.
Yes chemical/power flush would aid with a clean system.

Sponsored Links
Yes chemical/power flush would aid with a clean system.
ah ok.

So having a new boiler in an 30 year old system without a proper power flush is asking for premature breakdowns.

ah ok.

So having a new boiler in an 30 year old system without a proper power flush is asking for premature breakdowns.
When I had my boiler replaced, I removed all my rads, took them outside and flushed them through with a hose. Half filling them, giving them a good shake, emptying and repeating until no more black stuff came out. Then I refitted them, added some cleaner to the system, ran it for a week or so with pump on max speed closing off all rads bar one at a time to ensure a good flush through and then drained system several times. Boiler was then replaced and inhibitor plus a magnetic filter was added. Might be worth testing with a magnet on some of the bends to see whether any magnetite has built up.

Best advice I can give is;

Heating engineer recommended by friends, family or colleagues. Or poss some manufacturers have lists of accredited installers of their products - sometimes giving extended warranties.

Clean system - not just to protect your boiler/investment, but to stop manufacturers wriggling out of warranties due to contamination. (Proper power flush on an old system could take best part of a whole day, give or take - depending on system size.)

Magnetic system filter (Magnaclean).

Corrosion inhibitor additive in system.

Take care of these basics and you're giving yourself the best chance of a reliable boiler/ch system. (y)

ah ok.

Yes, basically. It doesn’t always have to be a power flush, it depends on existing system water condition.

When I had my boiler replaced, I removed all my rads, took them outside and flushed them through with a hose. Half filling them, giving them a good shake, emptying and repeating until no more black stuff came out. Then I refitted them, added some cleaner to the system, ran it for a week or so with pump on max speed closing off all rads bar one at a time to ensure a good flush through and then drained system several times. Boiler was then replaced and inhibitor plus a magnetic filter was added. Might be worth testing with a magnet on some of the bends to see whether any magnetite has built up.
Many thanks for that, my rads are pretty sh1t so I was thinking of taking them off to clean them and repaint or buy new.

Best advice I can give is;

Heating engineer recommended by friends, family or colleagues. Or poss some manufacturers have lists of accredited installers of their products - sometimes giving extended warranties.

Clean system - not just to protect your boiler/investment, but to stop manufacturers wriggling out of warranties due to contamination. (Proper power flush on an old system could take best part of a whole day, give or take - depending on system size.)

Magnetic system filter (Magnaclean).

Corrosion inhibitor additive in system.

Take care of these basics and you're giving yourself the best chance of a reliable boiler/ch system. (y)
Many thanks for the advice, I will do all of that when I get the new boiler.

Sponsored Links
Back