Could Brexit create new manufacturing.

40 years of decline..40 years of EU membership..Of course.no connection.Send Black & Decker to Poland...Bring in some EU fruit pickers...Great idea.

It isn't hard to research the decline of manufacturing in the UK.
And the cause is domestic.

I am sorry facts don't meet your narrative.

Sadly Brexit will accelerate loss of manufacturing and increase reliance on China.

Sponsored Links
You're joking, the knowledge required to be a qualified electrician or gas installer doesn't even amount to 5% of the knowledge required in an engineering degree such as physics/electronics etc.
You're seriously underestimating the vast knowledge and level of intelligence required to obtain technical degrees and that's not forgetting the serious maths required (way beyond A level).
Most students taking engineering degrees must enhance their maths abilities and it's a real hurdle for many.

For domestic work, trades require no more than primary school maths grade and the most basic calculator will suffice.

Oh I agree that pure science degrees are beyond what most tradesmen need, but not all degrees are science based.

Academic ability or mathematical ability doesn't assume a higher intelligence than a tradesman.

I have a science degree and I've worked in both manufacture and construction so I've seen both sides. To be honest I've seen stupidity in both.

That doesn't explain decimation of manufacturing ; you can't kill it in a few years (as basically happened in the eighties) by cutting off the supply of willing and able 18 year olds.....
You're talking about Thatcherism.

Sponsored Links
It wasn't Notch that said manufacturing in UK was killed off in the 80's, it was you.

Says the weirdo who can’t accept the referendum result.

I am sorry you are suffering a catastrophic comprehension deficit.

What I accept is that Brexit has no benefits, its leading to economic damage.
That is rather different, why is that something you struggle to understand?

I kept saying death of manufacturing was political, you kept disagreeing.

You seem to be confused.

You said it was these "muppets you voted for". Another dig at the current shower.
While I don't disagree with the shower bit, they didn't fook up the 80s.

Viessman - OK but full of plastic $sh1te
Vaillant - were the best, but not what they used to be
WB - overpriced, difficult to service and full of leaky, cheap plastic components. Parts are cheap, just as well because you will need plenty of them.

Intergas boilers all the way. quality brass and copper internals, only 4 moving parts and simple, proven reliable technology.

R&C are you still recommending intergas boilers? - I just wondered if they were no longer well supported in UK being as they are European.

TIA

R&C are you still recommending intergas boilers? - I just wondered if they were no longer well supported in UK being as they are European.

TIA

I'm not quite so involved with plumbing these days, but not heard any problems. Never had any problems with their service department or getting parts. However, as they're over engineered and have few moving parts it's rare to need new parts. Unlike others eg. Worcester B that suffer from poor design and quality, and are often in need of new parts.

If you want something more home grown, Baxi/Main seem to be producing good boilers these days.

Could Brexit create new manufacturing.

British manufacturing relies on parts from the EU. Could this be an opportunity for these parts now being produced in the UK or sourcing out to lets say India or even Africa. ???
Like to think so... But is the interest there? From what I see of todays youth if it doesn't involve a computer game then there is no chance.
In the last few years I've helped two mates empty their families (engineering) workshops out - most of the tools ended up as either scrap or given away to hobby concerns.

What happened to Meccano sets - proper Meccano sets that people could make many mecanical objects with - I made a steam powered car once with my Meccano set and Mamod steam engine. Telling neighbours son about that and all he could say was 'but where's the computer...?'.

Neighbour across the road from me has his own engineering and fabrication workshop - he's now 66 and wants to retire but he has so much work he is working more hours than ever before. Can't find any youngster who is interested in learning the business - mind you the tghings put in the way of taking on an apprentise doesn't help - so he's left to carry by himslf.

I'm not quite so involved with plumbing these days, but not heard any problems. Never had any problems with their service department or getting parts. However, as they're over engineered and have few moving parts it's rare to need new parts. Unlike others eg. Worcester B that suffer from poor design and quality, and are often in need of new parts.

If you want something more home grown, Baxi/Main seem to be producing good boilers these days.
thank you very much for that.

I will put Baxi on the short list with intergas

Ive read lots of neg comments on this forum about WB to put me off -and they are the brand that gets pushed the most.

I get the impression the way to get a good installation is to get a heating engineer that is experienced in the boiler being fitted -I would ask in the heating and plumbing section, but the guys on there dont like me very much as most plumbers seem to be brexit supporters!!

Sponsored Links
Back