Leading Brexiteer to build a new car...

Like the exports of gold and platinum, that table appears to mislead because it does not show net exports.

I'm pretty sure that the diamonds and other materials exported will have previously been imported.

Sponsored Links
Like the exports of gold and platinum, that table appears to mislead because it does not show net exports.

I'm pretty sure that the diamonds and other materials exported will have previously been imported.

We do mine / produce small quantities of gold I believe, not sure the UK produces platinum though.

It's not easy to view this sort of thing at the moment really. This it the trade balance last 5 years

UkTradeDeficit.jpg

Looks great at times but this lot is going on at the same time

The UK posted a trade surplus of GBP 0.305 billion in April of 2020 compared to a downwardly revised GBP 3.956 billion deficit in the previous month. Exports fell 19.3% to GBP 37.71 billion, the lowest since August of 2010, due to a 14.9% drop in goods and a 24.4% decline in services. Within goods, sales were down for machinery & transport equipment (-27.1%); fuels (-15.9%); miscellaneous manufactures (-19.6%) and material manufacturers (-4.7%). Goods shipments declined to both EU countries (-10.4%) and non-EU countries (-18.5%). Meantime, imports slid at a faster 26.2% to GBP 37.41 billion, its lowest since January of 2010, on the back of a 21.9% fall in purchases of goods and a 37.6% in those of services. Goods imports declined mainly for machinery & transport equipment (27.7%); food & live animals (-0.9%); miscellaneous manufactures (-18%); material manufacturers (-13.6%). Imports of goods slumped 23.7% from countries outside the EU and those from the EU declined 20.2%.

I heard somewhere that a Welsh gold mine produces enough in a year to make a wedding ring.

Sponsored Links
There's a mine opened in Scotland that reckons which reckons it can extract about 6 tonnes of gold, but still small potatoes compared to SA or Oz.

There's a mine opened in Scotland that reckons which reckons it can extract about 6 tonnes of gold, but still small potatoes compared to SA or Oz.

I live in what was a large mining area for china clay (kaolin), at one point the mines employed around 12000 people, less than 500 now. At the moment they're core drilling for lithium samples which could be big, could be very big, tin and gold will possibly be by products.
Not sure what the price of tin is these days but in recent years the extraction costs have been more that viable, in fact they were only not viable for a few short years, a lot of ex miners in this part of the world aren't too happy with Maggie Thatcher (peace be upon her), five years of subsidies would have kept the mines open, from memory I think tin needed to be about £600 a ton to be commercial and the price fell from something like a £1000 a ton
Although todays prices make extraction viable, the cost of reopening flooded mines is too high.

Do you think your data is a little out of date?
View attachment 198588
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_exports_of_the_United_Kingdom

Especially in light of last years massive reductions.
View attachment 198590
Note that by January 2020, a massive reduction of 30%.
Use the link to pinpoint precise dates and reductions.
View attachment 198589
https://oec.world/en/profile/country/gbr/

Ellal asked what the UK exported, I helpfully pulled up a list for him. **** ****

Last edited by a moderator:
Ellal asked what the UK exported, I helpfully pulled up a list for him. *** ***

Best look at the NSO really for data and monthly variations can be rather dramatic so needs looking at over several years.

Last edited by a moderator:
A number of rings and other bits and pieces.

https://www.clogau.co.uk/jewellery/gold-Jewellery.aspx

The text says "Our passion and deep love for gold comes from the historic and rich gold mines of Wales, which have provided stunning Welsh gold to the Royal family since 1911. Welsh gold is now scarce and difficult to find, but this only increases the mystique and charm."

but it doesn't actually say that the goods they sell are made of Welsh gold.

It says "each piece of jewellery we produce contains Welsh gold"

in the sense that my mug of tea contains sugar?

Yep - In France!

"Ineos Automotive could be set to ditch plans to build its first off-roader - revealed last week - in Britain, it has emerged today.

A state-of-the-art factory was due to be built in Bridgend, South Wales, for production of the new utilitarian Grenadier offroader, creating up to 500 jobs in the region"

"Britain's newest car manufacturer, Ineos Automotive, has confirmed that it is negotiating with Daimler to take over the Smart factory at Hambach, eastern France, as a manufacturing base for its new Grenadier range of 4x4 vehicles."

"Ineos owner, Jim Ratcliffe has been a vocal supporter of Brexit, saying Britain would thrive outside of the EU."

Ratcliffe and his ilk will of course survive rather nicely since Brexit was all about a few making a killing and sod the rest of the UK...

I wonder what it will take for the 17.4m to finally realise they made a dreadful mistake?

I suspect not as much as Jim Ratcliffe, 1.2 billion so far before the Grenadier has reached production, in the meantime Land Rover goes back to Defender production. Ouch.

Sounds like it's due next year now.

:) It reminds me of a rather early landcruiser but a bit longer.

Sounds like it's due next year now.
Dreamed up by an arch brexiteer..

But to be made in the EU...

I wonder if we'll now be told by the usual xenophobic suspects here that this is a 'brexit benefit'? :LOL:

A true Brexit benefit would be you carrying out your Brexit promise. You disappointed a lot of members on this forum when you did a U turn on that.

Sponsored Links
Back