Could it be Asbestos in the boiler cupboard?? :-O

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello fellow DIY'ers.

I have a flat in a 1930's building, in the process of doing up as it's been rented out before and bodged quite badly :(

So the bathroom looks like it has been done in the last 10 years. All looks ok but the boiler cupboard is a mess. Plaster falling off crumbles dust at bottom, exposed brick and cement, pretty horrible.

My main concern is the plaster looks old, like when the place was built old. It looks like it curves around as it edges the older (lead?) pipes. It's all broken at the back so took a picture of a piece. Was it common for them to mix asbestos with plaster? Especially in the boiler cupboard?

Please let me know your thoughts. Cheers

Attachments

• Plaster_Concrete_boiler_Cupboard.jpg
    Plaster_Concrete_boiler_Cupboard.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 393
  • Plaster_Concrete_boiler_Cupboard02.jpg
    Plaster_Concrete_boiler_Cupboard02.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 436
  • Plaster_Concrete_boiler_Cupboard03.jpg
    Plaster_Concrete_boiler_Cupboard03.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 722
Sponsored Links
You appear to have sand & lime plaster - but if you want to remove it use a good mask.
What do you want to do in the airing cupboard?
One of the vertical pipes seems to be copper and the other might just be heavily painted copper also.
Lead pipes are only a concern if they supply drinking water.

Hi Vinn,

Thanks for the reply. How do you identify if it is sand and lime? The painted pipes are a grey metal. They could be iron, though not sure. The inside of the boiler cupboard looks horrible with the plaster chipped off the walls exposing brick and cement.

I wanted to render it over and have it a bit more presentable, though the boiler is in the way to do the back wall. What would be the best approach to tidying the exposed areas? Cement then plaster?

Sponsored Links
Leave it alone. you would have the possibility of so many difficulties that its not worth messing with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back