Could someone tell me what this is called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've finally tracked down the leak in my shower, it's this:

It's an interanl component to my shower panel connecting a pipe to the shower head section.

I've tightened it but water still comes out from between the 2 plastic sections.

I wondered what it's called so hopefully I can mail order a replacement?

Or is there a diffeerent way to fix? Both screwable bits can be tightened but it still pours out water.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What 2 plastic sections? You have the plastic fitting with it's nut on the end and attached to that is some transparent pipe that is secured using a jubilee clip. Where does it leak exactly? If it's from the side or back of the nut fitting when it's connected to the shower outlet then there's a rubber seal missing or burst/perished, either that or the fitting itself is cracked. You may find it difficult to find that specific piece, do you have a manufacturer for the panel?

If it's leaking where the pipe connects to the fitting then the pipe needs to be removed and the fitting cleaned up and then re attached and ensure the clip tightens properly.

Sponsored Links
The jubilee clip join is ok. The leak is coming from between the plastic nut and the fitting. When it's screwed on to the metal thread the water comes out the back

There is a rubber washer in there, maybe I should replace that?

I thought perhaps the plastic had cracked as it's so much water. And I thought it would come as 2 components, the fitting(?) and the nut. You can't seperate them.

As you say, sounds like it's either cracked or worn washer. It's about 2 years old and I think the leak has got slowly worse and worse over the last 6 months.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Can I replace with a component or 2 designed to join a pipe to a metal thread?

I wonder if the plastic connector from the end of a washing machine hose would suffice? You would have to bastardise it of course ;)

What is at the other end? Maybe a bent flex tap connector might fit.

I would go with the rubber seal first, just need to check the size first if it's 1/2" or 3/4" (15mm/22mm) or some other mental bespoke size which these panels can sometimes have.

Check the fitting and the union nut first, try to pull it apart gently, if it's cracked then you should be able to see it under a bright light. As it's plastic too does it tighten up enough or does it click when getting tight and then go loose'ish?

Here's it on it's own:

The nut cannot be removed from the fitting. Looks like there's an internal black washer as well as the main one that I removed.

Hard to see what's going on, it's not assimple as I thought.

The other end of the pipe in my first picture joins a similar fitting but metal, with another Jubilee clip.

So I could replace pipe, fitting and nut.

Any idea what I can do here guys?

The leak is definitely coming from this thing and I can't get to the washer that might help.

The washer you see here is before the leak is you know what I mean.

Thanks again for all your input on this.

Sorry, I meant the washer you can see is after the leak. But it's definitely leaking where the nut meets the rest of the plastic fitting.

Inside the nut is all sealed except the hole going into the fitting bit.

If this washer was worn I can only think it'd leak 'forwards' , where the nut meets the metal thread.

Something's wrong between the 2 bits of plastic, the nut and the fitting.

Sorry for my bad explanation, hope it makes sense.

Just a thought but what does the bit it fits to look like might be the nut bit had sheered off that side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back