Could someone tell me what this is called?

That looks like those two bits snap together with an o ring seal whatever you need to replace. Try emailing a pic to showerdoc monday.

Sponsored Links
Just a thought but what does the bit it fits to look like might be the nut bit had sheered off that side.

Sorry how do you mean?

The nut screws to a metal thread. That join doesn't seem to leak.

I could be assuming too much here for someone who knows nothing about plumbing but it really looks like this component is faulty.

water comes out quite freely between the nut bit and the rest of it.

I think the join to the metal thread and the join to the pipe are sound.

That looks like those two bits snap together with an o ring seal whatever you need to replace. Try emailing a pic to showerdoc monday.

Thank oyu! I've give that a try.

Wow. I was so pleased when I found the problem just thought it'd be a simple pipe to metal thread joining thing. I'm so surprised it's not a standard thing.

Thanks again :)

Yeah it looks like you can squeeze those plastic arms together and it'd all come apart but they didn't seem to budge.

I wonder if it's a cheapo one way thing, built to be assembled but not disassembled

Sponsored Links
I suspect it's designed so the hoses/fittings can be fabricated and then fitted to the shower..ie the hex "nut" cab be tightened with the hose connected.
The O ring inside has failed and if you can get the parts apart and if you can find a suitable O ring you may fix it.
Don't come back and ask what o rings size it is :)
If you're lucky the o ring will be in good condition and you may find a parting line on the plastic parts that can be smoothed over. Plenty of silicon grease is needed before reassembly.

So, Better Bathrooms where I bought it, went bust and the company that took over have no records of the shower.

I can't track down the manufacturer. I have a very brief installation guide but that's it.

Someone at Shower Doc is trying to find it but if that doesn't work is there anything else I can do?

The faulty component doesn't seem to seperate so I can't get to the o-ring.

Is there any way to either replace the whole thing, a nut going to something that will fit onto a pipe? Or that size nut already fitted to a pipe that I could fit at the other end.

I think it'd work with a fixed connection - it makes it easier to fit with a movable nut but I think I could screw the whole thing on first then attach the pipe if that makes sense?

Or can I seal it somehow? tape, glue anything?

I really don't want to buy a whole new shower just for this one broken component.

Thanks

Penny to a pound that is an ½"or ¾" connection the same as standard tap connectors.
Buy an ½" and a ¾" one and try it chances are it will be the ½" size. Once you have identified the connection post a picture of the whole pipe so we can see the other end and measure the length.
If you are lucky you might get a short bit of 15mm pipe into the existing hose or better still find a flex connector to replace it.

https://www.toolstation.com/made4trade-solder-ring-bent-tap-connector/p42485

All the barbed swivel elbows seem to be in the US, nothing in the uk so far, but it seems to be what it is that you need. Have a look about for one of them.

th

Ah great, barbed swivel elbow seems to be the name.

At least i can search for it now. Pretty sure it's 1/2" but I'll take it out again tomorrow and measure it.

Thanks guys.

Hi guys,

I went to B&Q and got a couple of things I thought might work

One was a short pipe with a 1/2" swivel nut at one end and a nut with an olive at the other, which I think is to join to copper pipe?

Strangely, the swivel end seems to fit exactly at first but after half a turn it won't go on any further. This was with my hand, but it seemed to stop as if something was stopping it but it really looked like it'd go all th way.
I can't see any obstruction.

It felt tight though so it might've been ok but I think unless it goes all the way on with the male thread pressing against a washer it won't be even close to water tight.

I googled 'Olive' and got the impression they bend when tightened and will join to copper tubing. So I got the small fitting reducer.

I'm hoping one side will fit to the pipe when I tighten it with the olive, the other end fits well into the existing pipe and I'm pretty sure it'll work when I tighten the jubilee clip.

The last image shows the filling reducer in the olve end of the tube. Assuming it works like that.

What do you think?

I don't understand why the nut doesn't go on further. That's a major problem.

I do think I have room to get a non-swivel version, get it in place and attch the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back