Could someone tell me what this is called?

Sounds like the pitch of the thread is different as said the thread on compression nuts is slightly different to standard UK connections (metric?) if the nut fits the thread it might be possible to cobble something together.
I think washing machine hose connectors are BSP also so may have the same problem, still worth a try.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, wrong thread size, of course. That's going to be a pain. Surely the nut on the other end would be the same? Maybe not :) I will try that.

I thought washing machine hose were 3/4". That'd be great I'll look one up.

Thanks again.

Feel I'm getting somewhere. Bit worried about the thread size though. If it's non standard I'll never find anything that'll fit it

The nut the other end will be a slightly finer thread. 15mm compression rather than BSP old compression before 1970 were BSP but no since metrication.

Ah I see.

I'll take a look at this tomorrow first thing.

I can only find washing machine tubes with 3/4" nuts. Are there 1/2" around?

Sponsored Links
Odd I have tried to fit 15mm nuts on BSP but they were not the same, shows I ain't always right!:)
Last try can you post a picture of the unit showing the part you are trying to connect to and the supply pipe.

Looking at your photos again I think that it is a C clip holding the parts together, try squeezing the lugs on the side with two gaps together with pointed pliers and see if the whole clip pushes through.
Mind your fingers!

Here we go:

I did try to seperate the parts with needle pliers a while back but couldn't get it to budge.

Here you see the top quite long male thread. On the other pic you see the flexible tube connected to a barbed thing similar to what's on my platic component.

Very strangely I just tred screwing the plastic component on to my new metal thread from B&Q and it fits perfectly.

It should be a different thread shouldn't it. Unless it can work one way but not the other?

Makes me wonder if it would tighten if I used a wrench.

But I really don't want to make things worse.

Any ideas?

It's a silly thing to suggest as you will have already been there - but, in the past I've usually found the bloke behind the counter in a proper plumbers merchants has often gone out the back and returned with a selection of bits and bobs and cobbled something suitable together.

And if the first one didn't do it then try one or two others too.

It might be the shape of the mating surface (washer seat) that is binding somewhere stopping it entering, or of course the plastic thread slightly flexing.
the suggestion of taking the unit into a plumbers merchants might work if it comes off the wall easily. You will tend to get more help at an independent merchants than a big chain.
Whereabouts in the UK are you someone on here might recommend one.

I'm in London but don't drive so quite limited.

I did go into a plumbase and the guy said I would never find one those at any outlet.

Kinda said what you guys did at the start.

I've got another thing coming from amazon tonight.

I think I'm going to take the whole thing off the wall and gently try to force it on.

Try that, see how it leaks. If it's dreadful I'm going to bind the original plastic component up with that plumbers tape, right into the crack between the plastics, then slap silicon or something over the top.

Really if it just leaks slightly it'll be ok I think. It'll just run through the panel and into the tray.

It's only currently bad as it's shooting out backward and running down the tiled wall, then running into the gap for the pipes. If I can stop it hitting the wall it might be ok.

As a temp fix I taped a bin bag over the gap in the wall and that's stopped the leak to kitchen, so maybe a neater version of that...

getting desperate :)

with all the money you're spending on bits'n'bobs .... you would have been able to buy a new panel soon ;)

I've considered it :)

Actually only spent £15 so far on 3 bits.

But if I break it completely in my attempts to fix it (maybe with a hammer?) I'll have to.

So, are we saying that a brass nut from a 15mm (or 1/2") compression fitting will screw onto the threads you have protruding from the back of your panel?

If so, you could get a couple of hep2o bent tap connectors (one for each threaded tail) and connect the two with a length of hep pipe (with inserts of course).

Have a look at these fittings...

https://www.google.com/search?clien...=_rewGX_CyBb2C1fAP1r6UyAI34:3870.333251953125

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back