Could this start an electrical fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In the process of mouse-proofing a victorian house internally, I have used steel wool to seal all possible gaps throughout.

However I've been advised this can be dangerous, as any exposed electrical terminals can ignite steel wool and start it burning. I've tested the theory myself (9 volt battery and some steel wool in the garden!) and it does create only a very mild and short-lived spark, despite all of the available oxygen outdoors.

However a 240 volt terminal combined with prolonged contact inside the house is what worries me, should I be concerned? Steel wool to seal holes from mice seems such standard practice in the UK.

Thanks!

P.S. this is the stuff I'm talking about stuffing into holes around the house:
band-wool.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you going to be sticking it into electrical connections or accessories?

What kind of gaps are we talking about? (Pics will help us offer some other options) This doesn't seem like it would be a suitable solution and there has to be a better purpose fit product for each hole/gap that you have. While this stuff certainly does burn/flame easily I'm not 100% sure if it spreads but if it were to catch fire through some kind of electric issue then maybe what's around it could also catch fire? Also this stuff will rust and disintegrate pretty quickly I would think making your efforts to mouse proof almost non-existent.

Are you going to be sticking it into electrical connections or accessories?

Not specifically, no. It's more into gaps in floorboards, walls/skirting boards, around pipework - and I don't know what wiring is lurking behind/underneath which is what worries me ! As I don't have visibility behind said gaps.

Sponsored Links
Why not use caulk, silicone, fillers, foam rods, expanding foam etc...? substantially cheaper than wirewool, longer lasting, easier to apply, a lot more energy efficient and probably more mouse proof too.

I note that this post was edited very soon after it was initially posted to delete the reference to a certain YouTube video - concerning stuffing this material into certain large holes adjacent to skirting boards and then filling them with a "concrete patch", (Actually, cement mortar.)
The Youtube video was

I note that this post was edited very soon after it was initially posted to delete the reference to a certain YouTube video - concerning stuffing this material into certain large holes adjacent to skirting boards and then filling them with a "concrete patch", (Actually, cement mortar.)
The Youtube video was
Yes I deleted it as a I realised the cement bit might be misleading as I didn't necessarily do that for all holes, some just left with the wool 'bare'!

I still wouldn't use the wire wool, doesn't seem fit for this purpose when there's plenty of other things that can be used.

I still wouldn't use the wire wool, doesn't seem fit for this purpose when there's plenty of other things that can be used.

Trouble is i've been advised that expanding foam, silicone, etc., even cement is chewable by rodents. But steel/wire wool ain't.

I could be wrong but wouldn't they just move on and try to get through existing holes? If they really wanted through they probably would just chew the wood where there is no wire wool.

Wire wool is the best deterrent for rodents. If it's an existing run and you caulk/silicone etc it up, they will attempt to chew through it.

They're much less interested in creating new holes but if there used to be one there, they're going to try and get back in.

The old 'myth' about a pencil sized hole is true too, you gotta fill every single hole not just the big ones

A 9 volt pp3 battery and a bit of wire wool is a good quick and reliable way to start a camp fire if the matches have got damp.

Stainless steel scouring pads ( for washing dishes ) make good rodent stoppers but fix them in place otherwise the rodents will remove them.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back