Court case witness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been called as a witness in a court case,I'm told that unless its on medical grounds that I have to attend, Its a bad time for me, has anyone else had this? and what happens if I just don't go?
p.s I didn't witness a crime but some people stole money(lots of it) and they purchased lots of my stuff.

Sponsored Links
I went to court once as a prosecution witness. A couple of weeks before the case, I was approached by someone in my local and asked not to attend, or else I could find myself in hospital. The landlord happened to be stood behind the bar and overheard the conversation and called the police. Result? A few months later I am again a prosecution witness at the trial of the chap accused of trying to pervert the course of justice, together with the accused from the first trial.
Was never approached again.

I think if you fail to turn up and the trial goes ahead, you can be charged with contempt of court. It can be very intimidating, especially when your cross examined by the defence lawyer/solicitor, who try every trick in the book to throw you off, but stick to what you know as fact and you'll be fine. BTW You can claim for loss of earnings whilst attending court.

I've been called as a witness in a court case,I'm told that unless its on medical grounds that I have to attend, Its a bad time for me, has anyone else had this? and what happens if I just don't go?
p.s I didn't witness a crime but some people stole money(lots of it) and they purchased lots of my stuff.

Have you been summonsed?

I've had a letter to say when I am not available, holiday is the only excuse they will accept, then when they know the dates I guess i will be summonsed, I live in the Scilly Isles and the case will be in York! I'm self employed so will loose alot of working hours.

Sponsored Links
If you are worried about your safety I am sure you can do it without providing your personal details and without attending the court, see your solicitor. At the end of the day you have done nothing wrong.

A friend had this, stress made him ill.
A doctor agreed, end off.

If they purchased your paintings with money that wasn't theirs - you'll have to give it all back.

A few months back you told us that for the past ten years you earned more than the PM - was that a flippin' fib?

I'd actually be happy with the money i made if i was you, and forget bits in court why make an enemy, and, at the end of the day, you may lose out.

Just how i would see it. and it works.

I've had a letter to say when I am not available, holiday is the only excuse they will accept, then when they know the dates I guess i will be summonsed, I live in the Scilly Isles and the case will be in York! I'm self employed so will loose a lot of working hours.

are you sure there records are up to date ??
cases are always within traveling distance of your home address under normal court hours as far as i know for jury service or have i miss read the situation as normal :eek: ;)

aahh a witness a bit different
no one can actually force you to be a witness but the police can have you for wasting police time
and the court can have you for contempt off court
but in general you wont be out off pocket
but hey i am thick so may be completely wrong :LOL:

they should have a virtual prison here - for those in Contempt of Forum :idea:

I think the judge might also take a slightly different approach to someone, who say, is an innocent bystander that witnesses a crime, to someone who appears to have indirectly benefitted from the proceeds of the crime.

It seems like you are key, and by refusing to attend, you would be held in contempt, and arrested, and jailed. A 'bad time for you', isn't a reason, as it's a bad time for anyone. 2 weeks or so in clink.

I'd hate this to happen to me, but do your civil duty.

You may have already perjury, as you wrote on here? So you are possibly going to jail, regardless.

Just how i would see it. and it works.
Hey, that's great. Boycott the courts so that criminals can operate without fear of punishment.

I bet you'll be pleased when you're the victim.

Or maybe you identify more with the criminal?

Sponsored Links
Back