Covid passes to be introduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
If you go to an event where this is required and you catch covid, at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you caught it from someone who was vaccinated.

At bit like this event:
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...rdmasters-music-festival-in-cornwall-12388990
Vaccination wasn’t required.

the event was for over 11s which - and 16-17 year olds weren’t even offered the first vaccine until august.

and over 18s only had first jab beginning of July

sadly lateral flow tests can be completed and a negative reported dishonestly.

Sponsored Links
I went to a conference in September with over a 1000 people. Everybody had to show a negative test result from NHS to enter.
There were no cases of covid spread, judging by the covid app. I did get pinged while at the event, but only because my neighbour caught covid at the weekend before I went!

Testing works. Yes, some might slip through the net, but testing coupled with vaccines means we can carry on living lives as normal. I go to the pub every week, I got to shops without worry, my kids go to the gym, swimming, my wife works at work, life for us is pretty much back to normal. It all appears to be working. Now, if we can all pull together ...

The LF tests aren't very good for this. They only catch about 65% of positives, far fewer if you don't do the test uncomfortably well. And they're easy to fake.

They only catch about 65% of positives,
That is what they are used for. They should take some with covid out of circulation. Don't use them and people would still be in circulation.

Dispute your figures anyway. False positives have been seen as the main problem. Same fact holds - an improvement over doing nothing.

Vaccines are an even larger improvement on doing nothing.

The main problem in this area is why some plonkers do not understand why they do a number of things. All must be perfect etc. Hardly anything is so what do people expect. Negative outlook taking no notice what so ever of the positives.

I just rechecked - they're a bit better than last time I looked, must have been ages ago, https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...onfirm-high-sensitivity-of-lateral-flow-tests, and that's last year.
76.8% sensitivity, and they claim to find 95% of the more serious cases. Which is at odds with what they said before - that you can't tell from a nose swab what someone's viral load might be. If you don't do them expertly you miss more.
The false positive rate is apparently low - 0.3% until you let schoolkids near them and they find ways to get off school with a splash of fruit juice. So if you test 1000 healthy people you get 3 false +ve who would then get PCR tests. If there only 3 actual positives in 1000 you would have missed one of them at around 65%, not really good enough if you're relying on it.

We're still not seeing serious cases in SA though, and they aren't well vaccinated over there.
Might be proved wrong, but I'm thinking as time goes on that it's going to be a bit of a damp squib compared with delta.

Last edited:
The fact that people get pcr as well allows them to get a decent idea of effectiveness but the same fact hold. They will take people who really do have it out of circulation. It's an over all win. In an odd sort of way the vaccines are similar. Some die, some are seriously ill. Some have side effects from the vaccine although that problem is exaggerated in several ways. Currently there is some info around about it's use on the younger in that respect. It predicts reactions and balances them against actually catching covid which can cause exactly the same problems. The vaccine ones are more easily treatable.

There have been cases where pcr has failed to show that a person is infected even though they have breathing difficulties. So they get a scan or more usually and X ray in the uk to confirm it.

It's an imperfect world in most areas so balance of good against bad has to be used.

I generally agree with Government policy (although perhaps not so much implementation), but can someone explain or link me to the thinking around why Covid passes are beneficial?

As in the OP, jabbed people can still spread Covid o_O

The LF tests aren't very good for this. They only catch about 65% of positives, far fewer if you don't do the test uncomfortably well. And they're easy to fake.
They actually only come back 'positive' if you have enough of the 'virus' to transmit it, not whether you have the 'virus'...

And indeed easy to fake, as the results are essentially self reported...

And as experience has shown me at a couple of recent gigs, only a cursory glance is given when the queue gets longer!

Plus I have it on good authority that students (and others) often simply set up an NHS contact on their phone, change the details of a particular test and then forward it.

Thus it's a waste of time, but someone (no doubt a tory donor) is making a bit of dosh for the system!

I generally agree with Government policy (although perhaps not so much implementation), but can someone explain or link me to the thinking around why Covid passes are beneficial?

As in the OP, jabbed people can still spread Covid o_O
They should have a shorter time periods where they can infect others. It's usually what vaccination does. Like most things it will take a while to find out if that happens with the ones that are being used.

A typical wave always start in the younger age groups and then spreads up. Since schools have been monitored a lot more those can be thrown in too now. Shorter times mean less infection spreading. It's a probability thing. Also of course significant numbers of younger people finish up in hospital. The very young usually don't.

So increase the age range downwards as they have. It will take a while to see how effective that is but experience says it usually is.

It's another imperfect aspect but the end result is more good than bad.

Actually as the age groups in hospital seems to have changed I expected some reaction irrespective of the omicron problem. ;) Have to say seems as I don't look every week now. :) I'm more in a this will go on for years mood and not very happy about how some aspects are handled. They seem to feel that people are scared so don't emphasise some things as much as they might. I don't know of anybody who is scared and there are plenty of people out and about who aren't either yet various carry on whining about it even politicians - especially them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back