CPTPP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mega trade deal, and it effectively shuts the door on us ever re-joining the EU. What's not to like?
Whilst Germany wallows in recession, France is on fire and the Dutch government collapses because they are unable to deal with the migrant crisis.
Can anyone really say without appearing to be a fool that the UK isn't doing too bad?

Sponsored Links
A mega trade deal, and it effectively shuts the door on us ever re-joining the EU.

Let me check.

UK was able to resign from the EU. You liked that.

You think it will be permanently unable to leave the Asian trade club? And you think that is a good thing? I suppose you will be voting "join" in the referendum? Oooops, my mistake, there isn't one.

Just reported on R5L.

Benefit to UK :+0.08%

Govt's own assessment of leaving EU; -4.0%

We already have deals with most of the CPTPP countries anyway (via our agreement as part of the EU, which we kept after leaving).

Benefit to UK :+0.08%

Govt's own assessment of leaving EU; -4.0%
You mean we only need 50 more of those deals? Great.(n)

Typical crappy right wing rag reporting as well, with zero criticisms. A similar story on Sky news reports that it will only add a modest benefit over a 10 year period....."critics say the impact will be limited, with official estimates suggesting it will add just £1.8bn a year to the economy after 10 years, representing less than 1% of UK GDP...."

Brexiteers and their bullshít. (n)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
And a different viewpoint

The Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) is a genuine tongue twister — but it’s also Britain’s best “Plan B” alternative to a faltering World Trade Organization, says Crawford Falconer, the Whitehall official at the heart of the U.K.'s post-Brexit trade strategy.

As Badenoch puts pen to paper in Auckland, New Zealand, this Sunday on a much-hyped deal that promises to deliver no more than a 0.08 percent bump to Britain's domestic GDP, the biggest winner may not be the U.K. — but another fiercely-independent island nation on the other side of the world.

A mega trade deal, and it effectively shuts the door on us ever re-joining the EU. What's not to like?
Whilst Germany wallows in recession, France is on fire and the Dutch government collapses because they are unable to deal with the migrant crisis.
Can anyone really say without appearing to be a fool that the UK isn't doing too bad?

It's an interesting development and aside from any economic benefits bestowed upon us it aligns us against Chinese interests in the region and brings the UK into Asian affairs which have become significantly complex. The Americans have been concerned about Russian interests in European affairs but they're very alarmed about Chinese demands for influence throughout the Pacific region, and their insistence on controlling the South China Sea. I know it's 'just' a trade deal but it has geopolitical implications as much as any economic ones. It may explain why the Aussies chose our military deal for nuclear submarines over the French, as our countries combine to combat China on the economic front before a military confrontation is made unavoidable by the 'Taiwan question'.

It's an interesting development and aside from any economic benefits bestowed upon us it aligns us against Chinese interests in the region and brings the UK into Asian affairs which have become significantly complex. The Americans have been concerned about Russian interests in European affairs but they're very alarmed about Chinese demands for influence throughout the Pacific region, and their insistence on controlling the South China Sea. I know it's 'just' a trade deal but it has geopolitical implications as much as any economic ones. It may explain why the Aussies chose our military deal for nuclear submarines over the French, as our countries combine to combat China on the economic front before a military confrontation is made unavoidable by the 'Taiwan question'.

Indeed.

It's a deal where Britain is on an equal footing to it's participants if not of a greater influence, something that couldn't be said for being a member of the eu, where the Germans and French rule the roost.

It's a deal where Britain is on an equal footing to it's participants if not of a greater influence, something that couldn't be said for being a member of the eu, where the Germans and French rule the roost.

I can see power shifting away from France and Germany. Poland is one to keep an eye on.

Really ???

For the dim (me), what improves for UK, given we already had trade deals with all these countries other than Malaysia and Brunei?

Sponsored Links
Back