Crabtree Starbreaker not Tripping when tested.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not long moved house and realised over the weekend that when the yellow 'TEST' button on our Crabtree Starbreaker Consumer Unit is pressed, nothing happens. Nothing trips.

Is that bad, or really bad. Many thanks.

The house was renovated (totally gutted) about 3 years ago and rewired.

Sponsored Links
Now theres a coincidence, I've just contacted crabtree about the same problem. We have just installed 10 starbreaker RCBO's and none of them trip via the button but are all OK when tested. I will post the reply when I get it

Get it tested by an electriciain. That test button is only to check that it will trip and ensure the mechanics are free to operate. Sounds like its faulty, price is about 50 + vat + fitting.

They don't last forever. I have a 100A RCD for the house, test it occasionally, needed a replacement after about 10 years. I don't know if it's the terminals on the test button that get tarnished, but on the (very infrequent) ocasions when I've had a faulty steam iron, or touched N+E when replacing a cracked socket, it's always tripped immediately.

Sponsored Links
You do indeed need to test it.

An auto test will tell whether it trips within 200ms at rated current and within 40ms at 5x.

You could also do a ramp test which will tell you what current it trips at. Much below 18 means a dicky unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back