Crabtree Starbreaker - upgrade to full RCD, or RCBOs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a crabtree starbreaker consumer unit which brand new about 3 yrs ago, just before the wiring regs changed. The rest of the wiring is a mix of original 1971, or added when the consumer unit was put in. I now want some work done on the kitchen electrics, so need to upgrade the consumer unit. An electrician will be doing the work (for part P), but I want to understand what can be done and what is involved. The first guy who looked at it wanted to rip it out and fit a new unit, but he didn't know what an RCBO is!

Basically two questions:

1) Can this consumer unit be upgraded to have an RCD for the first 5 channels in the same way that it's already got an RCD for the channels on the right? If so, how?

2) Can I replace the MCBs on the left half with RCBOs? If so, what type do I need?

View media item 31166
View media item 31167

Thanks
Ant

Sponsored Links
RCBOs are available for that type of CU however you may find they are expensive at about £35 a go.
I wouldn't know how to go about converting it to a dual RCD, space will be a big factor.

It looks like MCB's 3 and 4 are not used from your photos. If this is the case you could remove them, fit an RCD to the left and control the other MCB's on the left via this RCD. The other option would be to remove one of these unused MCB's and replace with an RCBO to protect the kitchen circuit you wish to modify.

I know Starbreaker use a push in type bus bar system which is why I am not sure how an additional RCD would connect in to create a dual board.

Sponsored Links
Can't be done without a load of butchering and I would not countenance that for insurance reasons. The bus-bar system is fixed as opposed to flexible. RCBO could be fitted throughout but this could proved expensive as £30-40 each.

I like the idea of all RCBO's and it is the only solution I normally present, but not the crabtree £35 ones.

Hope this is of use to you

So going down the RCBO route, I'm pretty happy to spec the ratings, but what type do I need? There are different physical sizes, right?

So going down the RCBO route, I'm pretty happy to spec the ratings,
You may not.

It will be your electrician signing a declaration which reads:

I/We being the person(s) responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my/our signatures below), particulars of which are described
above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design hereby CERTIFY that the design work for which I/we have been responsible is
to the best of my/our knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to................................(date) except for the departures, if any, detailed
as follows:

not you, so it has to be your electrician who decides what devices to use, not you.

but what type do I need? There are different physical sizes, right?
You need the type which will be chosen, sourced and installed by your electrician.

It looks like MCB's 3 and 4 are not used from your photos. If this is the case you could remove them, fit an RCD to the left and control the other MCB's on the left via this RCD.
More to it than that.

Where does the supply to the existing RCD come from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back