Crack above window - damp from old vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

In the last week a horizontal crack appeared above my kitchen window, moving outwards from a plastic vent cover in the middle. I removed the vent cover and found the cavity to be full of fibre wadding which was quite wet and rotten, so I pulled the immediately accessible stuff out and cleaned things out as best as I could. Just beneath the crack is what I would guess is a metal edge bar.

Looking outside, the wall has a rough render allover and there was no hole for a vent (blocked). There is a timber frame structure secured to the wall above the window and I found a <1 mm crack running horizontally across the top of the window which I suppose is the where moisture has come from.

As we were about to travel to the in-laws for Christmas I quickly sanded the external crack and slapped some polyfilla in it to prevent more moisture getting in whilst we were away, but I know this is a very temporary fix.

Any advice gladly received!

Attachments

• 20181228_115408.jpg
    20181228_115408.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 300
  • 20181228_115421.jpg
    20181228_115421.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 330
Sponsored Links
Doesn't seem like anybody has an easy solution for this, which trade should I be calling?

If the insulation is sodden then there is reason coming through the outer leaf (normal if it's not rendered) and not hitting a cavity tray above the window. Presumably the lintel is sitting there wet and has rusted now.
Ideal construction would be new cavity lintel with a tray over and weep vents.

It's foam that was used to fill the blocked off vent rather than cavity insulation as far as I can tell. I'm not sure what the lintel situation is, the vent sits above what seems like just a timber that is about 20 mm thick, so I don't know if the proper lintel is above the vent?

Sponsored Links
Either way it shouldn't have water sitting in the wall, anything should drain outside and dry out pretty quickly. I guess the current situation is balanced the other way and needs investigating and resolving.

This is the view inside the vent now I've cleared out the fluff/rubble that was filling it. Metal beam looks damp and a little corroded. So what do I do? Call a builder?

Attachments

• 20181229_173928.jpg
    20181229_173928.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 306

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back