Crack through floor tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Noticed these cracks in the tile between the doorway of the kitchen and the utility room. Tile has been down since 2012 (new build) and I think it's a concrete floor.

Any idea of the cause or how to fix?

Thanks!

20191225_112806.jpg

Sponsored Links
Maybe not laid correctly , any voids make them liable to cracking , likewise heavy impact can crack them .Replacing only real fix .

@foxhole , thanks for the response. If I knock on the tile, one side sounds hollow whilst the other sounds solid.

Is this just a badly laid tile then?

Sponsored Links
Ok, I'm not sure I understand now. Top layer of the tile has come off. Doesn't look too be cracked underneath. Any thoughts?

20191231_170058.jpg

Last edited:
I told you to contact the landlord/letting agent, now you will be blamed and charged for breaking a tile.

Andy

No worries, thanks for your response.

Is there any reason why this would suddenly happen after eight years or is it just a problem that has been brewing?
Minute movement can take years to eventually break up a tile and impacts can hasten it.

Could be nothing to do with your floor problem but heard recently washing floor or wall tiles with vinegar or cleaning products that contain vinegar are damaging them as it eats away at the surface seal. This might be common knowledge but I only learnt about it recently. I use soda crystals myself :sneaky:

Most tiles are impervious to vinegar but the grout is not as it’s all alkaline line based so can be damaged .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back