Cracked render


30 Mar 2021
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi, we bought a house on a new development 2 years ago, the house was a couple of years old at the time, so is now around 4 years old.

A crack has now appeared in the render above the front door. I have approached a company to see if they can repair it but, based on the pictures, they have responded to say that they wouldn't be willing to carry out the repair as they don't feel confident that they could carry out a long-term successful repair that I'd be happy with.

Whilst I appreciate their honesty I am now a little concerned as to how I am going to get this fixed, bearing in mind that this is what that company does on a daily basis. Am I able to go through my home insurance or NHBC? I'm not really sure what the options are now to get this fixed properly before it becomes a bigger issue?

Many thanks for any help that anyone can provide.


  • 20211119_080126.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 20211119_080120.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 183
Sponsored Links
Hi Woody, it's been raining so some rain water has come down from the roof that sits over the front door. You can see the black mark where that has drained down from the roof. Thanks
Cracks like that are generally caused by water which can be from from leaks like that. And this would especially be the case if there was no render behind that canopy roof.

That leak should be rectified, then wait a few months for the wall to dry and then repair the crack.

Then it's probably best and least intrusive to just fill the crack with a flexible mastic, blend it in with a brush and then paint it, rather than try and repair the wall and have a big patch of different render.
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info Woody.

I'm a little unsure who I could get to do the work as the company that I sent the pictures to have said that they wouldn't want to do the repair as they don't believe it'd be a long term repair that I'd be happy with. Obviously I would want any repair to be a permanent fix. It's a bit concerning that a company that does these repairs every day doesn't want to touch this one.

Is it the sort of issue that would be covered by NHBC? I will have a read up myself.

Many thanks.
I too would get some ivory mastic and fill the gap. You’ll still be able to see it but at least the colour will be similar compared to a black crack.

Be careful if you are considering painting over. That monocouche render type stuff - k-rend, Webber and the likes apparently has some witchcraft in that tries to repel dirt. Think it has the same effect on regular paint.
You'll need to check the Buildmark warranty schedule to see if that defect is covered. The NHBC can be very evasive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local