Cracked toilet bowl - can it be fixed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We recently bought a bathroom suite "sold as seen" from a local department store for the bargain price of £150. We figured we couldn't go wrong since the included thermostatic bath mixer was selling for £150 on it's own!

After going away for the weekend and having it fitted in our absence we were quite happy with the work that had been done. However, last night I noticed a small damp patch just in front of the toilet. On further investigation I realised that there was a long thin crack running along the side facing the wall and this was where the water was coming from.

I'm fairly (if not 100%) sure the crack wasn't there before but this is something I have to argue with the plumber when I speak to him tonight. My question is, will it be possible to repair the crack or are we going to have to replace the pan?

Sponsored Links
pointdexter said:
Hello,

I'm fairly (if not 100%) sure the crack wasn't there before but this is something I have to argue with the plumber when I speak to him tonight. My question is, will it be possible to repair the crack or are we going to have to replace the pan?

some you win, some you lose :?: If you got everything for £150, you can't really kick up too much fuss if you need to get a new pan. Go to plumbcenter etc, get a decent new pan. Give your plumber some slack and tell him hes doing a great job :cool:

well any plumber worh his salt wouldnt fit a toilet with a visible cracked !!!!!!!!!!

is there any chips or does the crack eminate from any screwholes!!!
i wonder if its a manufacturers fault!!!!that has only shown up since fitting

even if its sold as seen still think its not suitable for the purpouse it was bought assuming you can rule out dammage since you bought it

another avenue is accidental dammage under buildings insurance

or a good old fashioned comprimise you buy a new pan and he fits

and no you cant repair a toilet

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your quick replies.

The crack doesn't come from any screwholes and there's no evidence that it was caused during the installation. The plumber's a reasonable chap so I'm sure he'd agree to fit a new one for free if we buy it since we can't really prove how the damage occurred; I was only really wondering if repairing it might be an easier option :)

u have to ask ur self why was it sold as seen.......
i should go and get new toilet...and try to have him fit it free ? or try for a compromise..pay him 1/2 ?
seems under the circumstances u'd find it hard to blame the plumber

'Sold as seen' imo normally implies that there is something not quite right with the item, but they will not tell you what. Its up to you to find the problem. Its also a great kop out on 'fit for purpose'. I don't think you get much comeback from trading standards if the item is clearly marked 'sold as seen'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back