Crackle sound after pouring water on 4day old slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had 11.5cubic metres poured last thursday. Some of the slab is 12inches thick in places with reinforcing mesh. Last evening I thought id pour some water from a watering can onto the slab and noticed it making a crackling noise (like pouring milk into a bowl of rice crispies). Can anyone tell me what this is and furthermore whether I should worry about it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
nuzuki, good evening.

As a rule of Thumb, after placing the Concrete, floating of the top surface to the desired level / finish ans after the Concrete has "Gone Of" meaning you can stand on it the top surface of the Concrete should [have] been kept WET, meaning the area of new Concrete ideally should be under a few MMs of water.

In hot weather the convention was to place hessian over the new surface and allow a hose pipe to play water on to the hessian and hence the entire top surface of the Concrete, just to keep it wet.

Why? it was the practice back in the day to undertake the above so as to prevent Micro-Cracks forming on the top surface of the Concrete, and to assist in cooling the Concrete down, the Concrete cures by a Chemical reaction that itself creates heat, in a large thick pour the heat build up is immense.

As for what you heard? probably the very top surface grabbing the water because the water within the top few MMs of the Concrete has sufered a loss of water due to evaporation [exacerbated by a breeze and heat] so is screaming out for water to replace the evaporated moisture in the top surface of the Pour.

In general terms, a lack of water in the hours following the pouring of the Concrete may, I stress MAY??? lead to a more than usual dusting of the top surface of the Concrete, apart from that the lack of [dare I say it] the Curing of the Concrete, the slab will be more than fit for purpose, if it has been designed correctly.

Ken.

nuzuki,
As for what you heard? probably the very top surface grabbing the water because the water within the top few MMs of the Concrete has sufered a loss of water due to evaporation [exacerbated by a breeze and heat] so is screaming out for water to replace the evaporated moisture in the top surface of the Pour.
Interesting answer, I did like the idea of the cracking being the sound of the concrete screaming for water though!
Follow on question is why do rice crisps crackle?

John D v2.0, Hi.

Because that is what is said it does in the Adverts?

After all we all completely believe in the power of Adverts? or do we?

Never mind those two non-starters Snap and Pop

Cheers.

Ken

Sponsored Links
John D v2.0, Hi.

Because that is what is said it does in the Adverts?

After all we all completely believe in the power of Adverts? or do we?

Never mind those two non-starters Snap and Pop

Cheers.

Ken
Rice Crispies definitely snap crackle and pop, not just in the adverts.

Can anyone tell me what this is and furthermore whether I should worry about it?

All concrete does this, even if it's been down for years. Don't worry about it

Last evening I thought id pour some water from a watering can onto the slab

o_O

I suspect that getting the marigolds to grow will be a bigger problem than the snap, crackle or popping.

Thanks for the replies. I tried it the next evening and the crackling sound wasnt as apparent. This is the thickest slab ive ever had to do so I thought at first it was something to do with that or a dodgy batch of concrete from the wagon.

On a side note I do notice alot of mosquitoes attracted to my cement mixer.. Im guessing its to do with the CO2 which attracts them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back