Cracks in a couple of places

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to buy my first home, it's a 3 bed semi, built in 1937.

The house has a couple of cracks that are worrying me because this is all new to me.

I only got the valuation survey, and that came back ok. I'm wondering if I should seek a structural engineer to come out and see the house before I buy it.

Can anyone take a look at these cracks and tell me if they are of concern or not.

The first crack I notice is when you go into the porch of the house. Which I assume, would of been the original front door before the PVC ones were put into the front arch of the house. The house is a red brick house, and as you can see in the porch, it does not appear to be red brick, there is a drill hole and I can see a layer of grey which then leads into the red brick, I THINK that it is some sort of render that has been etched to look like blocks, over the original red brick. When I look down the side of the gap betwen the door frame and the assumed 'render' it appears to be flush with the door frame. So it looks like that layer has come away from the door frame? Directly above where the image is taken from is the top bedroom.

The second cracks are in the ceiling of the back of the house, bedroom 3 in the floor plan.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Wes.

IMG_0821.JPG
IMG_0820.JPG
IMG_0818.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0722.GIF

Sponsored Links
Looks cosmetic to me! Probably plaster/render failure, could have been a little movement that has caused cracks, but does not look sinister.
If you are in doubt a structural would be worth considering.

Cheers for reply! I Just remebered I took this also.... On the same side in the front bedroom there is this crack on door frame
IMG_0973.JPG

Are there are cracks on the outside of the house? 1937 transition from double skin walls to cavity walls, what yours? Cracks like yours are safe if they are historical (has the property been re-decorated since 1937?). If they have happened over the last 5 years could be the house is moving about? - is it on a clay subsoil? are there trees nearby? broken drains?
Frank

Sponsored Links
Hi Frank,

It's solid brick house. No cracks on outside of house, the house is rendered. There are parts of the render that you can see have been re-done at some point, just patches here and there though. I can see this because the render isn't painted.

The ceiling cracked room I doubt has been re-decorated in a long time, paint looks untouched carpets old etc, I don't think the that room ha been used in years. Not sure about the porch, paint looks old in there.

However the room with the crack on side of door frame has been painted about a year ago I was told. Appears to be all original door frames etc. No trees on this property but the next door neighbours have a tree on the far side, not close though.

Not sure about soil and drains. Maybe is mentioned in the searches I will have to check.

What's your thoughts?

Cheers,

Wes

Door frame crack equals 1mm every year? How long long do you intend to live there for? :) I would just use a bit of filler in them for the time being.
P.S. Nice wiring!
Frank

Intend to live there for YEARS. If it hasn't fallen down by then! Lol. Yes lovely wiring haha.

Cheers,

Wes

Why not contact the valuation surveyor and post them the above photos? Ask them to comment.
The cracks might be something and nothing but they are obvious, and yet you say there's nothing in the survey report ref. the cracks?
Have you asked the seller if they have had any historical reports or work ref. the cracks?
The seller is obviously aware of the cracks but if you keep pecking away with questions etc. you might work a reduction in the selling price?

Hi Vinn,

It doesn't say who carried out the report and in the report it did say signs of moment in door frames but thought to be historic. Which kind of satisfied me for a short while until people were saying the valuation is just for the bank and probably wouldn't tell you if something was going to be a problem, just isn't yet.

So I've been worrying because I haven't got a clue about anything building ha.

I did ask the bank who carried out the valuation and they said they couldn't tell me/ didn't know?

This was the report.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    530.7 KB · Views: 182
Well the surveyor has noted the cracks but hasn't followed on to determine the cause. Pretty typical for mortgage valuations - did the surveyor wear a mask & gloves?
No mention of a problematic location - a hillside or a mining area.
There's no way I would advise you one way or the other.
If you really want the place perhaps go round with a local builder or a SE?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back