Cracks in stud wall above doorframe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

A structural engineer will be taking a look at this in the new year, but if anyone has any thoughts, the more the better...

Just noticed a diagnonal crack (less than 0.5mm thick) in the back bedroom, emanating from the corner of the doorframe on an internal wall. It must be new as I painted the room only a few weeks ago. Nothing there when I painted it but on closer inspection there is a mirrored crack on the other side of the wall that has been painted over at least a year ago (before we moved in). The wall itself I think is just a stud wall (sounds like it anyway) but it's a Victorian terrace so I'm not sure what the building method was. So basically I'm freaking out that it's falling down / subsiding.

Stupid question alert: we had a very thick carpet put in the new room when I redecorated and haven't got round to removing and planing the door yet, so it's very hard to move across the carpet. Is it possible that the upward force on the door has been channeled through the frame into old plaster? Initial thought is of course not, but worth an ask.

Other info: The rear addition to the house was underpinned about 15 years ago because of lateral movement due to shallow foundations (as is common in this type of house). The bedroom is actually in the main body of the house so not in the underpinned bit. Structural survey before we bought said there is no evidence of further movement and I can't see any other cracks throughout the house.

Sponsored Links
You'd get more response if you asked a Mod to move this somewhere like "Wood/Woodworking/Carpentry" TBH

If the crack is in a stud wall it is highly unlikely that it's a structural issue. Movement in the foundations will generally show up as cracks in the masonry walls (outside) or plasterwork (inside, but on masonry walls, not studs). So, any chance of a photo so folk here could see what the problem is?

You'd get more response if you asked a Mod to move this somewhere like "Wood/Woodworking/Carpentry" TBH

If the crack is in a stud wall it is highly unlikely that it's a structural issue. Movement in the foundations will generally show up as cracks in the masonry walls (outside) or plasterwork (inside, but on masonry walls, not studs). So, any chance of a photo so folk here could see what the problem is?

Yeah I realised after I posted that wasn't the best place for it! Mod has moved it now.

Will pop a photo up when I get home from work. But thanks for the info, slightly less panicky now :D

Sponsored Links
You would not normally get a diagonal crack in a stud wall.

Have you recently slammed the door following an argument? Well that's one of umpteen possible reasons, so if you've booked an engineer to visit, you may as well wait.

But subsidence is not going to show as a crack in an upper floor internal wall before it shows up as cracks elsewhere.

Diagonal crack suggests brickwork above door ( which would be expected in a Victorian property).Quite a usual occurrence in old property .

any chance of a photo so folk here could see what the problem is?

Home now and photographed it. Now I look at it again though it looks more vertical than horizontal?

Also it's almost certainly a stud wall - sounds hollow when knocked, and I had a quick look under the insulation in the loft and it looks like stud with vertical...well, studwork.

Attachments

• IMG20211231191028.jpg
    IMG20211231191028.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG20211231191040.jpg
    IMG20211231191040.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG20211231191035.jpg
    IMG20211231191035.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 143
You're going to pay a structural engineer to look at that!!

You're going to pay a structural engineer to look at that!!

If it is the original wall, then it will be lath and plaster, thin laths of horizontal timber, nailed to the vertical studs. I also agree it's not a structural defect, most likely due to stress you have imposed by forcing the door over the new thicker carpet, forcing the door frame up at that side. Nothing at all to worry about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back