Craftsmen.

E

EdwardCurrent

Hello All.
I stumbled across this today ! To be honest I thought it was bit of batton at first !!! :oops: :rolleyes:
Firstly it made me think about the quality of the woodwork :eek: ?
A 'containment' system I have only seen twice in a fairly long electrically related worklife.
Was this woodwork manufactured off site surely ? Or was the electrician a woodworking genius as well :LOL: !
Cable is a cloth sleeved vir type ?
DSC00075.jpg

Would the 'reference method' have been trunking in the regs for space factors etc, or would it have been considered 'capping' (as I think I have seen it buried in walls) and accessory back boxes that make my teeth curl. :LOL: :LOL:
Regards as always
Ed

Sponsored Links
When I started at BT in 79, wooden trunking was still available from the stores :eek:

Sponsored Links
wooden trunking is still available in the trim setcion of B&Q at least..

it's in the rack with the dowels and quadrants and everything..

Found some of that in a local hotel last year,new owner had electrical inspection cert, smelled burning and called me in. Cotton covered vir in wooden capping. Whole place now re-wired.Also cooker circuit Consisted of replacing socket with cooker switch and big extension lead. :eek:

As holmslaw says, its case and cap

Story that someone once told me, involved some of it still being in use, an alarm installer comming along and thinking... "ah handy wooden batten... I'll stpple my cable to it" - it was discovered on a periodic that half the metal staples were live :LOL:

pleanty of this about, and still in service, have seen 'rewires' with t&e in the channels.

When I worked for Eastern Electricity, there was an old coal-fired generating building across the road from us, one day when the road was being dug up, I saw some very old cables underground, laid in oak trough with capping and filled with pitch.

I work for the DNO as a cable jointer and there are plenty of ancient cables about. The oldest I've worked on was a bit of .25 PILSTA from 1949 and even at that age it was like new inside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back