Creaking during windy days

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1970s house and on one spot we get these creaking noise when its windy, pretty much 24/7 at the moment, fun during the night. Its in the middle of the house inbetween the master bedroom and 2nd bedroom at the side of the house. Loft is wooden with the w type supports.

Clearly something is moving....seems to be from behind the plaster work in the wall rather than up in the loft.

Whats the best tradesman to investigate...roofer, carpenter? Anything else I can check?

Link to the video I took of the noise...

Sponsored Links
Could it be something outside rubbing on the house? A cable, loose downpipe, TV aeriel, branch from a tree?

We used to get really loud banging on windy nights, took me ages to work it out. Ended up in the loft during a story, and saw that the whole fake chimney (wooden frame, rendered, leadwork) was lifting up then crashing down. Was only moving about 1cm but from below it sounded like the house was falling down.

External (TV) aerial? We were woken up during the windy spell earlier this year by a 'Creaking' noise, couldn't work out where it was coming from - just knew it was outside until the noise stopped followed by a big 'BANG' on the bathroom window to find the TV aerial hanging by the cable.
The aerial was fixed by short screws to the (plastic sheeting) barge boards. When the aerial blew off it took the short lengths of barge board at the ridge line with with it.

Sponsored Links
Could be the TV antenna then...this is where its located and the room is to the right and a few bricks lower. Its a long pole as we are blocked by hills but its not actually used due to having Sky so it could come down.

Attachments

• 20180921_083501.jpg
    20180921_083501.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 250

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back