Creating a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

ive got a horrible flat roof, and wanted to improve it with potted plants.

I want to install either a Juliette balcony or doors that open out onto it.

what are the options available to me to make this? Are there several ‘grades’ that one can make or apply to planners to make?

I’ve got no experience of this sorry!! Would be grateful for advice please.

mark

Sponsored Links
1. As above, your flat roof is unlikely to be capable of taking the normal domestic loading required by Building Regs.

2. You would need planning permission, which is unlikely to tbe granted unless you are in a position where neighbours will not be overlooked.

Sponsored Links
What’s horrible about it it? Just the look of it or are there currently some maintenance issues? Your cheaper and best option would be to deal with the appearance/maintenance issues and look to install a Juliet balcony which can be carried out under PD.

What’s horrible about it it? Just the look of it or are there currently some maintenance issues? Your cheaper and best option would be to deal with the appearance/maintenance issues and look to install a Juliet balcony which can be carried out under PD.

it’s flat and black!

whars the legality of sitting pots on it?

ive got a horrible flat roof, and wanted to improve it with potted plants
LOL. No chance of that. Of all the improvements possible, potted plants just ain't on the list!

But there is nothing stopping you changing the window for a door

LOL. No chance of that. Of all the improvements possible, potted plants just ain't on the list!

But there is nothing stopping you changing the window for a door

AY? non comprendo Senor!

TBH I’m an extremely keen gardener with an interest in arid plants... would be nice as I look out the Juliette on a Sunday morning, looking at A few pot plants!!!! Is it legal to put them in the flat roof?

Is it legal to put them in the flat roof?
It wouldn't be illegal to put potted plants on the roof.
But some things to consider:
1. how would you get up there? - a ladder would be OK, but putting a door from the bedroom where the window is would raise Planning- and Building Control issues (though a door opening into the bedroom + a Juliette balcony would only be a Building Regs issue).
2. (depending on how many you put up there) would the flat roof be adequate for the increased load? Around the edge of the roof, it would probably be OK.

Also consider what happens to the pots in high winds. Best case they blow over, worst, they fly off. Just ensure that they are secure enough if anywhere near the edge.

AY? non comprendo Senor!

TBH I’m an extremely keen gardener with an interest in arid plants... would be nice as I look out the Juliette on a Sunday morning, looking at A few pot plants!!!! Is it legal to put them in the flat roof?

I suppose 'beauty is in the eye' and all that, but a few pot plants on a roof is not going to make the slightest difference to the aesthetic.

And for clarity, a Juliet Balcony is just that - a balcony. I doubt a balcony is going to be of any help in getting to the roof. However a set of doors is not a balcony, they are just doors, no ironwork, no permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back