Sponsored Links
Heldtite will clean off easily and will need a fresh application each time the plug is replaced, if it works. I have used it to good effect many, many times having served in the RN as an engineer.

It was a mechanic, I think he put it on a lift and just went up thread size. He moved to New Zealand the following week so can't follow up with him and he did it in the garage after hours so can't go back to the garage I think I'll try the crushable washer and some of that heldtite.

Sponsored Links
You have nothing to lose. Heldtite dries like a varnish and will be easily removed with a quick wire brushing if it doesnt work. That would then let you persue other options.

I retapped a GSXR 600 sump to 15x1.5 with a sump repair kit but that was only because it looked like the the exhaust header bolts would snap taking them out.

First option would always be a replacement sump (good 2nd hand would be £30ish?) IF you can get the exhaust off.

Hollow crush washer is worth a try.

Sounds like the bloke who did your repair didn't tap it straight and that's your problem unfortunately.

If you can't torque it to 35nm without stripping the thread it's bad to start with.

Helicoils are useless imho, only time we get involved with them is when they've failed. You can't use a Timesert either because of the sealing surface.

Never stripped a sump in 25 years personally but replaced a few..

Thanks lads, may take awhile getting the things I need while in lockdown but will let you's know how I get on.

Only sealant I could get and advised to use was dirko? Has anyone heard of this would it be of use?

When you had it rethreaded, are you talking about a helicoil or just shoving a tap through the thread?
Whatever happens, you don't want the plug coming out so if the thread is reasonable I'd consider blue Hylomar on the thread then wrapping it with ptfe tape followed by a crushable copper washer.
I do recall that crushable washers were used on Peugeot diesels sump plugs a few years ago - which also explains why I really need to get out more :ROFLMAO:
John :)

Audi still use them.

Fit two or three copper washers instead of the single one.

I wouldn't do this.

Slightly off topic, but when reusing copper washers is it worthwhile annealing them (i do, have had the same copper washer through last 10 oil changes, what could go wrong?)

For less than 50 pence per washer, is it really worth?

If you can get it bone dry and clean Blue Locktite will seal the threads (and stop it winding out!).

That's what I'd try. Leave it overnight before putting oil back in.

Did you get any hollow crush washers?.

I got hollow crush washer and put a small amount of dirko and ptfe tape!! I put about a litre of oil in last night and had no leak this morning......if there is still no leak by tonight ill add in the rest and check again in the morning and hopefully get out for a spin !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back