Crumbling internal block work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a cavity wall, where the outside is clay bricks and the inside is concrete blocks.

However, in some places (seemingly randomly throughout all 3 outside walls), the concrete blocks have "dents" in them. When placing a finger in a "dent", the block begins to crumble and the dent gets bigger. There is no sign of rising damp, and nothing "feels" wet.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem? Searched all over but cannot find any information.

Thanks for your help :),
Shockfire.

Sponsored Links
Are the inside walls plastered, and you're seeing these dents in the plaster too, and then pushing your finger through into the blocks?

if it was an old house in cornwall or devon I would say it was mondic block problem :eek:

Sponsored Links
Flippin `eck wizard - I just googled it :eek: That is a bad scenario

Are the inside walls plastered, and you're seeing these dents in the plaster too, and then pushing your finger through into the blocks?

Yes, in these areas the plaster was "bubbling" on the wall. When touching the plaster, it flakes off the wall, to reveal the crumbling areas in the blocks.

Can you take some photos?

I've included one below, please let me know if you need any higher quality (was taken off a camera phone :))

if it was an old house in cornwall or devon I would say it was mondic block problem :eek:

Nah it's in Hull :)

Any help is greatly appreciated :D

that looks like the rendering that is crumberling not the block. dig back to the block.

that looks like the rendering that is crumberling not the block. dig back to the block.

It's definitely the blockwork itself, can dig about 4 centimetres into it by just brushing with a finger.

My stepdad is a builder, and said he's not seen anything like it, but said it might be due to low quality blocks.

Think i'm going to have to get a surveyor in sometime! :(

Will keep the thread updated with the answer

Shockfire

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back