Crying in frustration

• Thread starter 2scoops0406
  • Start date
Well, I reckon i'm a reasonably competant DIY'er, I base this on the fact that I know my limits (which are low!) but I can't plaster large areas for love nor money. Now getting plastered, that's a different matter :LOL:

Sponsored Links
A reasonable, if not entirely enjoyable, experience no doubt. :LOL:

Before laying my new bathroom floor I am going to have to take a bolster to all the plaster all over it from my attempt!!!

Incidentally, when I got a plasterer in to fix up my attempt, he actually left the place cleaner than before he arrived! He must have mistaken some of my plaster in the bath for his mess.

Plasterers make it look easy, that is the problem. They stand there singing to themselves "dum-de-dah, dah-de-dah", make it look like they are just buttering some toast or something. The mix looks "lumpier" to how you would make it yourself. But it glides across the wall like a new razor across your cheek. Then just as you are thinking "but it doesn't look very smooth", along they come again. "dah-dee-dah, fiddle-de-dee" and with a pass of the trowel it is like polished marble.

Both times I have had a plasterer I couldn't help but pop my head round the door every half hour or so and say "Oooooh, you must be awfully good at this!". It is an art. Remember that statues can be made of plaster! :D

Sponsored Links
One of my mates has a grandfather clock that he made as his apprentice piece. The only bit not made from plaster is the movement. Impressive is an understatement.

I need 2 rooms ( bathroom and spare bedroom ) replastered. Just the walls. They're quite small - approx 9ft by 7ft and 10ft by 7ft.

Anyone have a ballpark figure as to what a plasterer would charge in the London area ?

I have absolutely no idea and don't want to get fleeced. Have been thinking about giving it a go myself but have been slightly put off by the "black magic" tag.

;) Hi there - I want to do a plastering course but don't know whether I should do the one day or two day course, as money is tight. The only real difference is that the two day course covers plastering ceilings. Are they so much more difficult that it's worth spending an extra £130 learning it? I'm pretty dextrous and neat, but I have NO experience of plastering anything. Any opinons or experiences most welcome.
Thanks

Billy Bulb: The only way to find out is to get a quote... "London Area" isn't very specific, some people use "London Area" to cover anything within the M25... I reckon that in the Docklands or Mayfair you would be charged many times what you would for somewhere in Greater London, even by the same chap. Seriously, it shouldnt' cost anything to have the guy come in, look abotu and quote you. Plasterers are usually "instant quoters", that is they don't need to go away to mull it over.

Belinda - I would consider a course if I had plenty to do. I am sure that it is a lot easier once you have had tuition... Plus it is cheaper than messing up your living room and then paying a guy to put it right :LOL: Ceilings ARE harder to do. When I tried a wall it was OK, when I tried a ceiling, it wasn't!!! Welcome to the forum, you are the latest in a small but growing bunch of female DIYers here!

thanks for the tip! No doubt I'll be back online when it all goes horribly wrong... :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back