Crysotile asbestos in textured plaster wall removal; hall, landing & stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We have a residential 'asbestos in textured wall coating' problem in our recently bought older house. (1925 large 3 bed semi).

We want to get our hall, stairs and landing reskimmed but one wall has blown from the brick and sections are damaged.

I also had an asbestos test come back positive for crysotile. White asbestos.

I have a builder who is contracting out to a plasterer to take back one wall to brick, as it has blown, and plasterboard, bond and skim, plus replace skirting boards, which attach to the asbestos wall.

They say they have an industrial extracter and will take precautions but I'm worried about how I can be sure the work doesn't leave asbestos fibres in my home afterwards.

Has anyone had asbestos wall coating taken-back to brick and lived to tell the tale, so to speak?

What was the cost? Any pics before and after to share? Any recommended companies in East Yorkshire?

Thanks for any time you can spend helping me in advance!

Sponsored Links
i’ve seen ‘licensed’ asbestos removal firms in action . :LOL:.
almost farcical sometimes.

Sponsored Links
Scraped mine off with a steamer 25 years ago. I'm still here :cautious:

In practical terms, if they tape and polythene the area, dampen down, and vacuum up, then it's fine. The fibre content of textured coatings is very small, and not a significant issue in this context.

The issue is whether the builders want to work "officially" or "unofficially"

Scraped mine off with a steamer 25 years ago. I'm still here :cautious:

In practical terms, if they tape and polythene the area, dampen down, and vacuum up, then it's fine. The fibre content of textured coatings is very small, and not a significant issue in this context.

The issue is whether the builders want to work "officially" or "unofficially"

Thx Woody. That's interesting that you did it yourself. The builder we most favour has said they would do as you have said and damp it all down first before using a class 1 HEPA extracter during removal and sealing rooms off, flooring etc. (Luckily we won't be keeping the carpet in the stairs anyway.)

I spoke to one national asbestos removal firm this evening who said they would charge £200 half day rate to perform upto 6 air quality tests following the removal works and issue a certificate of safety after, or else use time to stick around for further cleaning to ensure it passes.

They said that it is the last concerning off the asbestos to remove and it almost got taken off the risk list but for that meaning people wouldn't dispose of it properly of they did due to the fibres being so minimal in the mix and mostly encapsulated in the plaster.

I've just taken accurate measurements of all the areas of plaster and skirting to be removed so I can get a quote from this national company. So far of 3 companies who came to quote and 2 who came back with quotes - none have taken measurements.

You will never get a failed clearance/reassurance test for textured coating as the ACM content is so low, so testing is not a recommended requirement. It's visual check only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back