Textured coating found inside paramount partition (asbestos?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of removing a partition wall which after some research appears to be a paramount partition. It has a cardboard egg box like structure between 2 sheets of plasterboard inside. On inspection, there seems to be a textured coating on the inside on the plasterboard sheets (see attached photo). The walls are branded Gyproc. Can anyone identify what this is? To me it looks similar to artex and I just want to take the right precautions if it is likely to contain asbestos. Our house was built in 1978 and the rest of the artex on ceilings and walls has been tested and came back positive for asbestos.

Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2277.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 6,004
Sponsored Links
Paul Kilgore, good evening.

I can not recall seeing anywhere warnings or advisories as regards Asbestos being incorporated into Paramount Partitions. It has never been discussed at any of the Seminars or lectures I have attended as regards where to locate Asbestos.

Plenty of warnings about such things as "Artex" or "Thermo-Plastic Floor tiles" or the more obscure timber window "Sash Ropes" never mind the Asbestos lagging around old boilers and Heating Pipework.

The "Textured" coating on the inner surface of the paramount is I believe nothing more than Plaster, used as a "Glue" for the Egg Crate center, it was a pain because it was sharp enough to cut you when you were erecting these partitions, I recall ending up with dozens of tiny abrasions gained whilst erecting this type of partition, I also recall making loads of "Bonus" by erecting them, you could get really fast at fixing this type of partition.

I suppose if you consider the situation? Gyproc, a manufacturer was awash with Plaster, Why "Contaminate" the Plaster by buying in Asbestos?

Hope this assists?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Back