CU/Main Earth wire connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The main earth wire to the CU is joined with a screw type connector/bolt? on the board as per picture.
Is this ok or will it need upgrading, ie, crimped or something when the new Wylex CU is fitted?

IMGP1639.jpg

And any recommendations on a new isolator switch to replace the RCD installed between meter and CU?

IMGP1642.jpg

Sponsored Links
The earth is sweated onto the sheath. This would be better terminated into a henley block or earth type block. Your G/Y can then be taken from that.

Ideally it would be 16mm from the sheath, but even if you got the DNO out they are unlikely to increase the CSA Of it.

You have a main RCD covering the installation, I cannot see what rating. This is odd, as you do not have a TT system, you have a TN-S. RCD protection was required in the 16th for some circuits, and for most circuits in the 17th, but a single RCD is not compliant.

Wylex do a 100A DP switch which will fit in the small enclosure.

The earth is sweated onto the sheath. This would be better terminated into a henley block or earth type block. Your G/Y can then be taken from that.

Ideally it would be 16mm from the sheath, but even if you got the DNO out they are unlikely to increase the CSA Of it.

You have a main RCD covering the installation, I cannot see what rating. This is odd, as you do not have a TT system, you have a TN-S. RCD protection was required in the 16th for some circuits, and for most circuits in the 17th, but a single RCD is not compliant.

The RCD is 63A 30mA, it was fitted due to a couple of faulty circuits, which have now been rectified.
I`m having a split load, dual RCD CU fitted, and been advised to have it removed and replaced with an isolator switch so any future work on CU can be carried out safely.
Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
been advised to have it removed and replaced with an isolator switch so any future work on CU can be carried out safely.
Indeed.

And as FR says, Wylex do a 100A DP switch which will fit, but in all honesty probably any 2-module DIN rail switch would fit.

I would leave the choice of it up to your electrician, because the key part of the advice you've been given is have it replaced. Whoever replaces it is going to have to deal with the problem of pulling the service fuse to make it safe to replace....

it is an industry standard size.

View media item 820
however the cost of a new enclosure is even more trivial than the cost of the isolator.

Yup - it's just a small enclosure with a DIN rail and an aperture for a 2-module device.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back