Cupboard Ideas/Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, we are having some work done to the bathroom and need some ideas or help.

Basically, we need more storage at home and also need the downstairs bathroom sorting for the kids.

Heres a couple of pics of the area we are talking about...

Basically, the plan is to box in that area somehow and make it a cupboard for storage. The sink will be removed, but we will want to keep the washing machine and tumble dryer within the cupboard. The window will be covered by the cupboard, as we are having a new window installed at the other end.

The first idea we had was to install some sliding wardrobes. But, having measured up, because of the shape of our washing machine, it wont fit. We are now thinking about building a frame around it, and handing a couple of bi fold doors?

Hope this makes some sense. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
:)

Its a bathroom cum utility. The bath and toilet are out of shot.

Part of the idea is to make it look a bit less like a utility and more of a bathroom!

The drier and W/M can be stacked on top of each other, which may help with space, it's difficult by pictures to give good advice on the best space saving design that could open up room to fitted storage space. I assume the bathroom is still to remain functional, any thoughts on shower enclosure to replace bath?

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Yes, the washer and dryer can be stacked, that's no problem.

The bathroom is still to remain functional. In fact, the main aim is to make it more functional. So, putting the washer and dryer and storage within a cupboard of some kind was the idea.

I can take more pics if that would help, but at the end of the room you can just make out the bath and on the right of the pic there is the toilet and where the sink will go.

It's the downstairs bathroom, but me and the missus use the ensuite upstairs. This is the ground floor bathroom which we will use to bath the toddlers and as they grow hope they will use.

OK, knocked together a plan of sorts....

And a couple of other pics of the room....

The requirements are to build something where I have marked the plan as a new cupboard. To contain the washing machine, tumble dryer and plenty more storage.

I realise covering over the window is a bit weird, but we will have the new window for light.

Any help would be great

Any ideas?
Superdon, sliding doors could well be an option with a custom depth carcass to fit the w/c and tumble dryer etc inside (providing you can vent the excess heat out!) or just build frame work at the end to act as an end panel.

I have noticed that your ceilings look pitched ..? Im yet to come across anywhere you can purchase pre cut wardrobes to match an angled roof, so the option would to buy a full height wardrobe and when it arrives, cut the back and sides to match the ceiling?

Again it doesn't have to be sliding doors, you could use standard hinged doors. Sliding would look good thought, especially if you had a light coloured glass maybe?

Cheers for that. We just out some sliding wardrobes in upstairs and they are really good and nice, that's where the idea came from.

The heat from the washer will be ok, because we would have the doors open when it's running and open the 'concealed' window.

The only problem with sliding doors is that we haven't got the depth. There's only 690mm from wall to door frame, and that's not taking into account some pipework. The washer is a funny slanted front one, so it's 600mm deep and the two doors of a sliding cupboard and the track at the bottom basically mean it won't quite fit.

So, my plan now, as you mention was to build a frame and create an end panel. That's fairly straightforward (I think/hope) but then what sort of doors could I put on that would look ok? As the doors would only be around 35mm thick and no bottom track, it would then fit in ok.

Yes that will be a problem then! There are different designs of sliding doors and how they are hung or supported. Ours for example are sat on a bottom track and have a top track for guidance, whereas ikea, some are actually hung on extended arms hanging out over the front of the carcass!

I think you right, with a 600 deep w/m plus pipe work it means there very little space for sliding doors, as you also have to think its not the width of one door, it will be 2 doors - allowing them to slide behind one another.

Have you thought about Vinyl wrapped hinged doors? Again you will need frame work horizontally as well as vertically in front to support the hinges. But there are a lot of variety of doors, with different designs and colours and as they are vinyl wrapped they will be resistant to water penetration.

Cheers

Yes, I thinking normal doors or cupboard doors with a frame is the way to go. Not sure I really need any special covering on the door as it will only be used infrequently as a bathroom.

I think I will put together a plan of what I am thinking and post it here to see if it would work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back